Bucatini Pasta with Arugula Pesto and Heirloom Tomatoes. A fast and flavorful weeknight dinner recipe that can be made in 30 minutes. Healthy and Vegan!
Before you go thinkin’ …. another recipe for pesto pasta? Let me assure you, this is not any regular old pesto that we’ve all had a million times before. This pesto will rock your world. It’s actually a little catering secret I’ve been waiting to share with you for a while now. The pesto, besides being vegan, is made without pine nuts – it’s actually made with smoked almonds. Not regular almonds, SMOKED almonds.
It’s something we’ve began using in our catering business because of pine nut allergies – but the flavor of the smoked almonds ended up giving the pesto so much depth and unexpected flavor, I’ve never looked back. Lemon brightens the dish to perfection and paired with the mini heirloom tomatoes, it’s a delicious combination. Best of all, it can be made in 20 minutes flat –and the leftovers are perfect for lunches during the week.
Bucatini, if unfamiliar, is a hearty, tube-shaped pasta noodle. Here locally it can be found at the Rocket Market on the South Hill. But if you can’t find it, don’t let it stop you from making this – spaghetti, linguine or any pasta will work great too.
The smoked almonds, however, are required. They usually come in a can and are salted.
Keep the bucatini pasta vegan, or add a little grated romano cheese. Top with lemon zest…and inhale.
For even more smoky flavor you could add smoked cheese to the pesto ( see notes).
This recipe for bucatini makes a GIANT BATCH, so think about halving it if on your own, or use the leftovers for mid-week lunches – it keeps well.
Delicious summers flavors that will delight the palate.
I hope you enjoy the Bucatini Pasta! Have a great weekend ….and see you all next week.
For more healthy, veggie-focused pasta dishes, take a look at these!
Bucatini with Arugula Pesto and Heirloom Tomatoes
Bucatini Pasta with Arugula Pesto and Heirloom Tomatoes. A fast and flavorful weeknight dinner recipe. This Healthy pasta is Vegan!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 8
- Category: Main, vegan, pasta
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 16 ounces Bucatini Pasta ( or use linguini, spaghetti, etc)
- ½ cup smoked salted almonds ( they usually com in can)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt ( see notes)
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon juice
Garnish with: mini heirloom tomatoes ( sliced in half), grated romano cheese ( optional) lemon zest… SEE NOTES!
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Make the pesto.
- In a food processor, place garlic, and almonds. Pulse 4-5 times.
- Add basil, arugula and pulse a few more times.
- Add oil, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Process until combined, but not too smooth, a little grain is good.
- Toss with drained pasta.
- Garnish with: mini heirloom tomatoes ( sliced in half), grated romano cheese ( optional) and a little lemon zest, fresh arugula leaves.
- NOTES: The pesto will taste salty and slightly bitter on its own. Don’t worry. Once it mixes with the pasta, it will all balance out to perfection. The pasta will soak up some of the salt. 🙂
- If you want this extra smokey, add small diced pieces of smoked cheese to the pesto ( like smoked cheddar or smoked gouda).
Keywords: bucatini, bucatini pasta, bucatini recipe, bucatini pasta recipe, bucatini with pesto, bucatini vegan, arugula pesto, arugula almond pesto