This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Tuna Pasta with Olive Tapenade & Fresh Tomatoes is a super fast, fresh pasta dish that is full of bright clean flavors. An easy dinner ready in 30 minutes! Healthy, quick and delicious!
And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it. ~ Roald Dahl
Tuna Pasta with Olive Tapenade and Fresh Tomatoes is a perfect summer pasta dish. Simple to make with just a little stove time, and you may already have all the ingredients in your pantry! The leftovers keep well in the fridge for several days.
This pasta dish combines olive tapenade, tender canned tuna, fresh tomatoes, vibrant greens, fresh basil and pasta in a delicious array of summer flavors. Lemon zest and pepper flakes completely elevate this dish.
Try this recipe for Olive Tapenade, it is super quick, easy to make and keeps in the fridge for a week. You will find many things to use it with!
Tuna’s flavor and texture is accentuated when canned in olive oil. The texture is succulent and moist. The flavor is rich and not fishy and ready to eat right out of the tin. Tuna in brine may actually decrease the omega 3 fatty acids, the water leaches out flavor, and creates tuna that is dry and sometimes fibrous.
That said we still love our water-canned tuna salad slathered with all the fixings. And totally no shame if you prefer tuna in water or that is what you have on hand, just adjust your seasonings and add a little more olive oil.
Ingredients in Tuna Pasta
- pasta- fusilli, torchetti, bow ties or something that hangs on to the bits and pieces
- olive tapenade
- good quality tuna in olive oil
- lemon zest & lemon juice
- fresh arugula & basil
- fresh tomatoes
- red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
How to cook Tuna Pasta
STEP ONE- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water. Do not rinse.
STEP TWO- Sauté garlic and pepper flakes in olive oil for a few minutes until it smells fragrant and barely begins to color.
STEP THREE- Add olive tapenade, tuna, oil, and lemon zest and heat to warm, about a minute.
STEP FOUR- Add hot pasta, arugula, and lemon juice (start with 1/8 cup and add more to taste), and stir to combine.
Sprinkle on fresh basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Leftovers can be reheated or enjoyed cold and will often benefit from an extra squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil as the pasta will dry out in the fridge.
Ways to Enhance
- finish off with parmesan shavings
- add anchovies chopped in with the tapenade
- add extra veggies such as roasted zucchini or cauliflower
- top with toasted walnuts or sunflower seeds
Can this be made vegan?
Sure! Leave out the tuna, add some seasoned lentils or chickpeas!
Hope you enjoy!
More recipes to enjoy:
- Tuscan Tuna Salad with Arugula & White Beans
- Delicious Easy 10-Minute Tuna Salad
- Hearts of Palm Tuna Salad
- Antipasto Salad
Tuna Pasta with Olive Tapenade & Fresh Tomatoes is a super fast, fresh pasta dish that is full of bright clean and savory flavors. An easy meal ready in 30 minutes! Healthy, quick and delicious!
- 8 oz pasta like fusilli, torchetti, bow ties- something that hangs on to the bits and pieces
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4– 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup olive tapenade
- 2 cans good quality tuna, 5 oz (in olive oil preferred)
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil or parsley
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water. Do not rinse.
- Make the Olive Tapenade.
- Sauté garlic, pepper flakes, and olive oil for a few minutes until it smells fragrant and barely begins to color. Add olive tapenade, tuna and the oil, and lemon zest and heat to warm, about a minute.
- Add hot pasta, arugula, lemon juice (start with 1/8 cup and add more to taste), stir to combine. Add tomatoes, sprinkle on fresh basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 158.4 mg
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.4 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 22.4 g
- Cholesterol: 10.3 mg
Keywords: tuna pasta, tuna pasta healthy