Healthy, delicious Mexican Breakfast Burrito Bowls with roasted sweet potatoes, seasoned black beans, homemade turkey chorizo (optional- or use vegan chorizo) avocado, cilantro and an egg (or sub scrambled tofu). Easy, Full of flavor and lightened-up! Vegan-adaptable.
Weekend mornings start off slow around here, with breakfast sometimes morphing into the lunch hour. By the time we’ve gotten around to it, it’s already noon and we’re famished. It was Brian who first started making these Mexican Breakfast Bowls for us, and I really love them because each time they are just a little different, based on what we have on hand and what’s in season.
Here, they’re with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, a lightened-up turkey chorizo, avocado, cilantro, scallions and an egg. (Leave off the chorizo, or sub soy chorizo for a vegetarian version.) In summer, add tomatoes or sautéed bell pepper or even zucchini, keeping it seasonal. In fall, try it with braised kale, or white beans and sage. You get the idea!
The eggs can be scrambled, poached, over easy, sunny side up or however you like. You can even leave the eggs off altogether and use scrambled tofu, which I really like too.
The sweet potatoes can be roasted in the oven or cooked in a skillet.
The easy flavorful Turkey Chorizo can be whipped up very quickly – and the best thing is the leftover turkey chorizo is delicious in so many other things too – think tacos, burritos, pizza or nachos or this Enchilada Pie Recipe.
If looking for a vegan alternative, you can always try this Walnut Chorizo, or use store-bought version.
Heat and season the black beans. Scramble, poach or fry the eggs. And once your ingredients are ready, just assemble, dividing among the bowls.
Top with avocado, cilantro, scallions and tomatoes when in season.
Drizzle with hot sauce or a little dollop of sour cream.
Mexican Breakfast Bowls -so easy, so tasty!
For more breakfast bowl ideas….take a peek at these make-ahead Breakfast Grain Bowls !
Or this Kimchi Fried Rice Bowl !Print
Mexican Breakfast Bowls with sweet potatoes, black beans, turkey chorizo ( optional) avocado, cilantro and an egg. Lightened up and delicious!
- ½ an onion- diced
- 1 sweet potatoes (or yams) – diced into ½ inch cubes -about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons oil
- generous pinch salt, pepper, chili powder
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans ( or one can drained), heated and seasoned with 1 teaspoon cumin, chili powder and a pinch of salt.
- 2 cups Turkey Chorizo ( optional) or sub regular chorizo or vegan chorizo
- 4 Eggs
- Garnish: Avocado, cilantro, scallions, hot sauce, sour cream
- Other toppings: diced tomato, sautéed bell pepper or zucchini or other veggies
- Toss onion and sweet potato with the oil, season with salt, pepper and chili powder and roast on a parchment lined baking sheet in a 400F oven until tender, about 20 minutes. (Alternatively, sear in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.)
- If making chorizo, cook it with a little oil, browning it and breaking it apart into crumbles.
- Heat the black beans, season with salt, chili pepper, and cumin.
- Prepare the eggs to your liking– either scrambled, over easy, sunny side up, or poached.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, divide among 4 bowls. Divide the chorizo and black beans. Top with the eggs, avocado slices, cilantro and scallions. Add fresh tomatoes if in season.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serving Size: - 4 breakfast bowls with 1/4 avocado, 1/2 cup turkey chorizo and 1 egg
- Calories: 442
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 508.2 mg
- Fat: 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.2 g
- Fiber: 12.3 g
- Protein: 25.7 g
- Cholesterol: 225.1 mg
Keywords: breakfast bowl, mexican breakfast bowl, healthy breakfast bowl, mexican breakfast recipes, mexican breakfast, burrito bowls, turkey chorizo,