This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This Vegan Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup with jalapeno is a fast and easy weeknight meal that is loaded up with lots of healthy broccoli! This delicious soup is vegan, keto and gluten-free- and can be made in 30 minutes! Includes a video.
Ohhhhhhh how we’ve been loving this Vegan Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup this week! Think of this like Broccoli Cheddar Soup, but made vegan and kicked up and notch with poblano peppers and jalapenos. Doesn’t that sound good? It is!
It’s not spicy, just super flavorful! Cashew cream (or sub hemp seeds) gives the soup its rich creaminess. Nutritional yeast gives it its cheesy flavor. Or feel free to use vegan Daiya Cheddar Shreds that actually melt.
What I like about this plant-based soup is how it really is mostly broccoli. Blending part of the cooked broccoli with the cashews gives it such a silky luxurious texture, it feels good in your mouth. But don’t take my word for it- give it a try and see.
To finish the creamy vegan broccoli soup, add the flavorful tempering oil. Quickly saute sliced jalapeno in olive oil with whole cumin seeds and Aleppo. Throw in some corn if you have some in your freezer, and just spoon this over the soup. So tasty!
Vegan Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup | 60-sec Video
Down here in Santa Barbara, where things grow year-round, the farmers market is full of veggies like broccoli and peppers. I feel a little spoiled after spending years in Eastern Washington where the farmer’s markets basically shut down for the long winter.
How to make Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
For this recipe, you’ll need about a whole pound (or 7-8 cups) of broccoli florets. I always include the stems as well- slicing them thinly.
The soup starts with sauteing the onion, garlic and peppers. I used two poblanos and 1 jalapeno. The soup was mildly spicy. Barely spicy truthfully. There is a lot of broccoli to counteract the peppers.
If you are worried about heat, perhaps start with 1/2 a jalapeno.
Once the onions and peppers are tender, add the vegetable broth and water and herbs and spices and broccoli.
Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender, 10-12 minutes.
Take two cups of the tender broccoli florets and two cups of the vegetable broth and place it in a blender.
Add the soaked cashews. If using a high-powered blender, no need to soak the cashews.
If using a regular blender, soak them 4-8 hours or overnight- or you could do a “cheater soak”- just simmer them in a small pot of hot water for about 15 minutes and drain.
Shush, don’t tell! No seriously, it’s fine in pinch.
So I usually start with just one cup broccoli and 1 cup broth with the cashews, blend until smooth, then add the second cup of broccoli and broth.
How to make it Vibrant Green!
Now, the color of the soup will be a little drab- unless you do this trick, which if you’ve been here a while, you’ll already know. 😉
Add a couple of handfuls of raw baby spinach to the blender, and blend until smooth. This will give the soup a lovely vibrance that will make it far more appetizing.
Plus you get all the added nutrients from the spinach.
Pour this vibrant silky smooth concoction into the pot.
Reduce heat and gently stir over low heat, careful not to simmer too long, or you will lose the lovely color. Look at this vegan-ized cream of broccoli soup! So vibrant!
To make the flavorful tempering oil – which of course you can adapt to what you have on hand, simply saute a sliced jalapeno, some whole cumin seeds and maybe corn if you have it, or if not, pumpkin seeds, or something crunchy and some chili flakes or Aleppo.
Spoon this flavorful finishing oil over the soup, after you’ve dished it up, for a burst of flavor.
So there you have it… Jalapeño Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
So simple! So tasty! So healthy!
This Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup cooks up quickly for weeknight dinners and heats up perfectly for midweek lunches (either in a microwave or on the stovetop- set on low) and best of all, packs a powerful punch of healthy nutrients.So much goodness here!
Can you substitute cauliflower for broccoli?
Cauliflower can easily be substituted for broccoli in the recipe, just be sure to use the same amount!
I hope you are having a good start to your workweek. Enjoy this Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup- it is one of my favorite vegan soups! Let us know what you think in the comments below.
More recipes you may like:
- Simple Celery Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Pesto Soup
- North African Carrot Soup with Chermoula
- Roasted Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli Quinoa Cakes!
- Creamy Vegan Broccoli Salad
- Broccoli Stir Fry with Tofu
- 40 Mouthwatering Vegan Dinner Recipes
- 20 Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Vegan Broccoli “Cheddar”Jalapeño Soup
- Prep Time: 18
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: soup, main, vegan,
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: northwest
Vegan Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup with Jalapeño – a fast and easy weeknight recipe that is healthy, vegan and keto!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4–6 fat garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1–2 poblano peppers, diced (I like 2)
- 1 jalapeno, diced fine (use 1/2 for less spice- see notes)
- 7 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets (about 1 – 1 1/4 pound, stems ok if cut thinly)
- 4 cups veggie broth (or 4 cups water + 1 tablespoon “Better than Bouillon” Vegetable Base)
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf (optional, remove before blending)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soaked or simmered, see notes) or hemp hearts
- 2–3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (see notes)
- 1–2 large handful baby spinach (for vibrant color)
Optional Finishing oil:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- pinch chili flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup corn kernals, frozen is ok (optional)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- cilantro or scallions, lime
- Heat oil in a big pot over medium heat, and add the onion, garlic, poblanos and jalapeno, stirring occasionally, letting the onions get golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, broth, water, bay leaf, coriander, oregano, salt, and pepper. The liquid should just cover the veggies. Cover, bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer gently until broccoli is tender, about 10-12. minutes. Turn heat off and remove bay leaf.
- BLEND: Place roughly 1 cup of the broccoli and 1 cup of broth into a blender. Let cool 5 minutes. Add the cashews and 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast.
- Cover tightly with blender lid and kitchen towel, holding it down firmly, when you start the motor (on the lowest setting, working up gradually) to prevent a blender “explosion”. Blend until silky smooth.
- Add one more cup broccoli and one more cup broth. Blend again until silky smooth.
- To the blender, add 1-2 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach for that extra vibrant “green” color, and blend until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Pour this back in the broccoli soup pot, mix and heat gently over low heat, careful not to boil or simmer too long, or you will lose the lovely vibrant green color.
- Taste for salt, heat, and acid. Add a little squeeze of lime if you like, or extra chili flakes or more pepper. For extra “cheesy” flavor add another tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
- Make the finishing oil: Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add sliced jalapeno, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, chili flakes, and optional corn kernals or pumkin seeds. Heat until cumin is fragrant, about 1 minute. Serve the soup in bowls and spoon a little finishing oil over the soup (when serving) in a crescent shape.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or scallions or a wedge of lime.
If using a high-powered blender, no need to soak the cashews. Regular Blender? Soak cashews for 4-8 hours (or overnight) in cold water. OR for a quick “cheater” soak, simmer cashews in a little pot of simmering water for 15 mintues to soften, drain before blending.
No Cashews? Feel free substitute hemp seeds for the cashews (or sour cream).
No Nutritional Yeast? Feel free to sub vegan melty cheese (like Daiya chedder shreds) for the nutritional yeast -just add it to the pot (1/2 cup or so) or sprinkle a little over individual servings.
Spice level: With 2 poblanos and 1 jalpeno, soup was still very mildly spicy. You can double or half the jalapeno or leave it out entirely if worried about heat. Up to you. 🙂
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup- with the finishing oil.
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 7.3 g
- Sodium: 436.6 mg
- Fat: 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 6.2 g
- Protein: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup, broccoli cheddar soup, vegan broccoli cheddar soup, broccoli soup healthy, healthy broccoli soup
This is the best brocoli soup I ever had. The corn and pumpkin seed topping adds a very nice crunch to this rich, creamy and flavourful meal. Will make this again!
Great to hear!
LOVED this broccoli soup!! I wasn’t able to make the topping, but added my own of chopped fresh tomatoes and pumpkin seeds. Very filling. Will be making more!
Great to hear Ann!
This is the best tasting soup I’ve had in a long time!! I used hemp hearts because of a cashew allergy and it came out nice and creamy. I didn’t make the topping but will definitely do that next time. And there will be many more times for this soup!! It is so incredibly flavorful. Love a recipe that I don’t need to change anything. It’s perfect as written.
So happy yo liked this!
This was an incredible recipe. I fed it non-plant based people without telling them it was cheese-less. They could not tell!! So delicious and rich. Thank you. Used hemp seeds.
Great to hear Anna!
Probably have made this soup ten times – it’s amazing and now a wintertime go-to. I add nutritional yeast + non dairy cheese for extra creamy goodness.
Awesome Bridget, so glad you are enjoying!
Cant get enough of this luscious soup! Making it two Sundays in a row to pack for lunch.
Simply the best, tastes so creamy and satisfying. Yum! I love your recipes, even though I’m not vegan, just like to eat healthy.
So happy you are enjoying it!
I’ve made this many times for my vegan and dairy-allergic teens. It never disappoints. Thank you for all the vegan recipes!
Thanks Naomi- glad you have been enjoying this one!
OMG Thank you so much. This soup is the BOMB!!!!!
Awesome! Glad you liked it Abbey!
This soup is so yummy! Thank you
Great to hear Morgan!
Directions are easy to follow for this delicious recipe
Delicious — brings me back to when I was little. I LOVED broccoli & cheese soup. We didnt have anything on hand for the finishing oil, but went for it anyway. Still lovely. Will for sure make again.
Love it Stephanie. One of my favorites too when I was young!
Absolutely delicious! Will be making this a regular meal at our house ⭐️
Great to hear!
I’ve made this sooo many times and it’s a winner every time – with or without the finishing oil. The spinich adds such a beautiful color and the poblano adds a punch of flavor that is unique. Thank you!
Great to hear Ana!
This soup was so flavorful! I’ve just recently become vegan and this has been definitely one of the better vegan recipes. I have found. The more nutritional yeast the better! We also roasted some broccoli in the oven and threw that in there as well. I will definitely be making this again.
Nice Christine, the roasted broccoli sounds perfect! So glad you enjoyed!