This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Vegan Breakfast Tacos are made with flavorful scrambled tofu, infused with Mexican spices, served up in warm tortillas with avocado, radishes, salsa & cilantro. Video!
Hi friends, I don’t know about you, but we’ve been feeling a little full from Thanksgiving and took a little much-needed time-out, opting for plant-based meals the last few days. These Vegan Breakfast Tacos are something we make a home a lot, not only for their tasty flavors but because of how fast and easy they come together.
All you need is 15 minutes, and you’ll have a delicious meal on the table!
Vegan Breakfast Taco | Video
How to make Vegan Breakfast Tacos
Saute onions and bell peppers in a skillet with a little olive oil.
While the onions are sauteeing, prep the tofu. Use a 14-ounce block of firm tofu, and drain the water.
Place tofu on paper towels and lightly pat it dry.
Break to tofu apart with your fingers.
Then add the tofu to the pan with the cooked onions and peppers, crumbling it a little with your fingers.
Stir in the spices, breaking apart the tofu, and if the pan feels dry add a touch more olive oil.
And now the flavorful tofu scramble is ready to use in tacos.
Heat the tortillas – either right over your gas burner, or in a toaster oven.
Here we are using 6-inch, organic whole wheat tortillas.
Assemble the breakfast tacos!
Variations of Breakfast Tacos
- Add black beans or refried beans
- Add this Poblano Pumpkin Seed Sauce!
- Add fajita-style veggies! (During the summer months, sauteed strips of peppers, poblanos, onions, zucchini are nice here!)
- Skip the tortilla and create a breakfast bowl, with warm black beans on the bottom.
The leftover scrambled tofu can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheated.
More breakfast or brunch recipes you may enjoy
- Mexican Breakfast Bowls!
- Breakfast Strata with Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, Goat cheese & Thyme
- Chia Pudding with Greek Yogurt
- Skillet Baked Oats w/ Maple Glazed Apples
- Spring Green Vegan Frittata
- Vegetable Frittata Baked in the Oven
Vegan Breakfast Tacos with flavorful Mexican scrambled tofu, toasty tortillas, avocado, radishes, cilantro and pico de gayo.
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14-ounce package firm tofu (organic, non-Gmo, or sprouted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, optional, for golden color
- 4–6 six-inch tortillas ( whole wheat, gluten-free, or corn-flour blend)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 3 radishes, sliced
- fresh cilantro
- salsa or hot sauce or Poblano Pumpkin Seed Sauce
- optional: vegan sour cream or vegan chipotle mayo
optional additions: warm black beans, refried beans, microgreens, other veggies
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet. Saute onion and peppers over medium heat until softened and fragrant.
- Drain, and blot tofu with paper towels, breaking it apart into 4. Add to the pan, crumbling it with your fingers as you go.
- Add the salt and spices, and mix them into the tofu, breaking apart the tofu even more. If the pan gets dry, add a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Stir occasionally until the tofu is heated through.
- Warm the tortillas (either on a gas burner, or in a toaster oven).
- Assemble the tortillas- dividing the seasoned tofu, avocado, vegan sour cream, cilantro, radishes and any extras you want to add. (If using refried beans, spread them on the tortilla first.)
- Serve immediately, and save any extra tofu in the fridge, and reheat later.
Feel free to skip the tortillas and create breakfast burrito bowls, with warm black beans or refried beans as the base.
- Serving Size: one large taco
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 566 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.4 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 10.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan breakfast ideas, vegan breakfast recipes, vegan breakfast tacos, breakfast tacos, tofu scramble, tofu tacos,