Fresh and simple Pico De Gallo is the perfect condiment for hot summer days. Easy to make with just a few ingredients enlivening all your Mexican favorites, delicious on eggs and always a popular appetizer. It truly is the most satisfying salsa!
Take notice of what light does- to everything.
I can’t get enough of this Pico de Gallo! I crave the juicy fresh flavors, especially on these glorious warm summer days. Made with fresh raw ingredients that come together in perfect harmony. This version has addicting depth and smokiness with the addition of chipotle peppers and a pinch of cumin and coriander. There is not a lot that doesn’t go with Pico De Gallo! Maybe it’s just me but this is totally hitting the spot these days.
Pico de Gallo is a classic Mexican salsa that translates to the “peck of the rooster” referring to the hot spice biting your tongue. Some jalapeños are spicier than others so you’ll want to taste as you go and adjust to your level of heat tolerance.
- Use the ripest tomatoes available. Here we’ve used grape tomatoes because they are usually the first in the season to ripen. If you prefer fewer seeds, meatier tomatoes such as Roma’s or sauce tomatoes are good. But any flavorful ripe tomato will do. (If you want a less juicy pico de Gallo; set your tomatoes in a colander to drain as you chop).
- Dice your onions, jalapeño, and cilantro in small similar-sized pieces. You will get more flavor distribution per bite.
- Use a sharp knife! It will make this all soooo much easier!
- white onion
- lime juice
- chipotle pepper
- a touch of cumin and coriander
How to make Pico de Gallo:
Step one: Dice onion and jalapeño nice and small. Mince garlic. Place in bowl.
Step two: Cut tomatoes in small chunks and finely chop cilantro.
Step four: Add tomatoes and cilantro. Mix it all together and serve!
This fresh salsa is best served within a few hours of making.
Serve Pico de Gallo with:
- Vegan Quesadillas!
- Jackfruit Tacos (Vegan!)
- Grilled Steak Tacos
- Crispy Jackfruit Carnitas Recipe
- Simple Chicken Enchiladas
- Oven-Baked Frittata with Veggies
- Tortilla Chips
Fresh and simple Pico De Gallo is the perfect condiment for hot summer days. Easy to make with just a few ingredients- this fresh Mexican salsa will enliven all your Mexican favorites – delicious on tacos, burritos, enchiladas and eggs, or a simple tasty appetizer served with tortilla chips!
- 1/2 white onion or sweet, 2/3 cup diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- juice of one lime, 1/8 cup
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (optional but so good!)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, or any flavorful fresh tomatoes, about 12 ounces or 1 1/2 cups, chopped small
- 1 bunch of cilantro, about a 1/2 cup, chopped
Best served within 2 hours of making. Leftovers are still pretty good- refrigerate and eat within 2 days.
Keywords: Pico De Gallo, Pico De Gallo recipe, what is Pico De Gallo