This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This Spinach Salad is a twist on the classic, deeply flavored with grilled mushrooms, red onions, sweet peppers and herby grilled chicken. Tossed with our healthy take on a flavorful French dressing, this salad makes a perfect complete dinner for warm days.
This spinach salad has all the best things going on. The idea of this recipe is based on the classic spinach salad that usually features raw mushrooms, raw onion, hard-boiled egg, and bacon. In our version, we elevated this up to an entree salad utilizing the grill for a delicious summer meal outdoors.
Mushrooms, red onions, and sweet peppers are grilled along with this amazingly flavorful marinated chicken. (Of course, you can leave the chicken off and throw on tofu bacon or your favorite plant-based protein.)
The grilled goodies are served over spinach and dressed with this richly delicious and healthy French dressing.
This spinach salad is heavenly topped with hard-boiled eggs, feta cheese, and coconut bacon! Coconut bacon is super easy to make with just 3 ingredients! Adding a delicious sweet and savory crunch. Though feel free to use whatever version of bacon that you prefer such as this vegan bacon, crispy cooked tempeh bacon, regular bacon or turkey bacon!
Ingredients in Spinach Salad
- Baby spinach
- mushrooms- any grillable mushroom (cremini, portobello, shitake, maitake, oyster, etc.)
- red onion
- bell pepper or sweet peppers
- herby grilled chicken
- French Dressing (recipe below)
- Optional additions: hard-boiled egg, feta cheese, and coconut bacon
Can this salad be made vegan?
Yes! Leave out the chicken and hard-boiled eggs. Super flavorful as is, or throw on your favorite protein. Tofu, tempeh or chickpeas, would all be great. Avocado would make a lovely addition in lieu of the egg.
How to make Spinach Salad with grilled veggies and chicken
Start the chicken marinating, following this grilled chicken recipe. This step can also be done up to a day ahead.
Drizzle in olive oil whisking all the while until combined and emulsified.
Grill the veggies and the marinated chicken.
Remove from the grill when they are cooked to your liking. The veggies will continue to cook a bit after removing them from the heat.
Assemble: Toss the spinach with some of the dressing (you will have some dressing left over). Cut chicken, peppers, and mushrooms into bite-sized slices. Arrange over the dressed spinach. Top with sliced hard-boiled eggs, feta cheese, and coconut bacon.
The salad, dressing, and chicken can all be prepped ahead & grilled ahead and served up later for quick and healthy mid-week meals.
More recipes you may enjoy
- Summer Pasta Salad w/ Grilled Zucchini, Corn and Cilantro Pesto
- Cobb Salad
- Summer Panzanella Salad
- Grilled Tuscan Bread Salad
- Lemony Chicken Arugula Quinoa Salad
- How to Grill Veggies
- The Best Grilled Chicken
- 35+ Chicken Breast Recipes
Hope you enjoy this salad as much as we have!
MORE CHICKEN SALAD RECIPES TO TRY!
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken
- Thai Chicken Salad with Spinach
- Chicken Salad with Quinoa & Arugula
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Quinoa Chicken Salad
- Black Bean Salad with Corn & Quinoa
This spinach salad is a twist on the classic with deeply flavored with grilled mushrooms, red onions, sweet peppers, and optional herby grilled chicken. Topped with our flavorful take on a healthy French-style dressing. A hearty and complete dinner for warm days.
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds of marinated chicken breast
- 6 crimini mushrooms- or sub portobellos, shitake, maitake, oyster
- 1 small red onion
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced in half or 6 mini sweet peppers
- 10 ounces baby spinach ( or two bunches)
- Optional: sliced hard-boiled eggs, coconut bacon, and feta cheese
French Style Dressing
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Optional Coconut Bacon (or use this vegan bacon, crispy cooked tempeh bacon, regular bacon or turkey bacon)
- Whisk together red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, maple syrup, sea salt, pepper, minced garlic, smoked paprika, and tomato paste.
- Drizzle in olive oil whisking all the while until combined and emulsified.
- Start by marinating the chicken. It is best if it marinates at least a half an hour or up to a day ahead of time.
- Pre-heat your grill with the lid closed, on high heat. Brush mushrooms, onion slices, and peppers with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Place the marinated chicken and veggies on the hot grill. Turn the heat down just a little, and close the lid for about 4 minutes. Flip veggies over with the metal tongs. Check the chicken, turning them only after good grill marks appear. Close the lid for another 4-8 minutes. Remove veggies from the grill when they are cooked to your liking, and continue cooking chicken until cooked through at the thickest part (160 F). The veggies will continue to cook a bit after removing from the heat.
- Assemble: Toss the spinach with some of the dressing (you will have some dressing left over).Cut chicken, peppers and mushrooms into bite-sized slices. Arrange over the dressed spinach. Top with optional sliced hard-boiled eggs, feta cheese and coconut bacon.
- Gently mix coconut, smoked soy sauce and maple syrup until coconut is completely coated.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325 F for about 6-9 minutes or until golden. It will crisp up as it cools.
This recipe is for a gas grill.
Adjust this salad as you like, it can easily be made bigger by just adding more veggies, spinach and toppings, or cut in half for a smaller serving.
- Serving Size: Includes 4-ounce Chicken Breast (no feta, egg, or coconut bacon)
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 9.3 g
- Sodium: 792.4 mg
- Fat: 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 29 g
- Cholesterol: 82.7 mg
Keywords: Spinch Salad with Chicken, Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken, Grilled Chicken Spinach Salad, Grilled Veggie Spinach Salad,