This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A classic recipe for Chicken Salad that is easy to make and full of flavor! Make it with leftover chicken– a tasty way to repurpose it into a different meal!
This Chicken Salad Recipe is one of my favorites on the planet! Made with simple classic ingredients, it is hard to go wrong. It is made even easier with leftover Rotisserie Chicken, Baked Chicken or Roasted Whole Chicken.
The secret ingredient, because well, you know we always have one, is fresh tarragon! A little bit goes a long way and it elevates, truly!
Ingredients in Chicken Salad
- Cooked chicken breast (baked chicken breast, leftover roasted chicken or rotisserie chicken)
- Red Onion- or green onion
- Mayo- homemade mayo or storebought
- Mustard- whole grain mustard is nice!
- Vinegar- red wine, AC, or rice wine vinegar
- Fresh Herbs: parsley and tarragon leaves (or sub dill, basil or cilantro)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make Chicken Salad
It truly is as easy as this; place everything in a bowl and mix.
Taste and adjust salt and pepper!
Chicken Salad Variations
- Add fresh grapes ( cut them in half)
- Add raisins, craisins or chopped dried apricots
- Add nuts- cashews are nice, or almonds or pecans.
- Add curry powder!
- Add different herbs- cilantro, basil, dill.
- Use half yogurt and half mayo for the dressing.
How to serve Chicken Salad
Serve over a bed of dressed greens with veggies. This makes a tasty entree salad.
Make a Chicken Salad Sandwich. Use whole grain toast, sourdough bread, English muffins, croissants, buns, pita or ciabatta bread. Top with microgreens.
Ways to Serve Chicken Salad
- As a sandwich
- In a wrap
- In a pita pocket
- In a lettuce wrap
- Over a bed of greens
This Chicken Salad recipe will last up to 4 days in the fridge! So excited for you to try this. I know you will looooooove it!
So easy and full of flavor! Let me know what you think below. xoxoxo
More chicken salad recipes!
The Best Chicken Salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: sandwich, salad, wrap
- Method: tossed
- Cuisine: American
A classic recipe for Chicken Salad that is easy to make and full of flavor! Make it with leftover chicken- a tasty way to repurpose it into a different meal!
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaves ( or try dill, basil or cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon capers, more if you like!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1– 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon vinegar- red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Serve over lightly dressed greens or make a sandwich with it. See variations above!
- Cut or shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix, incorporating all.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over simply dressed greens, or as a sandwich on toasted bread with lettuce and micro greens
The chicken salad will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
Please read through the variations in the post above!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 550.8 mg
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.7 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 32.8 g
- Cholesterol: 109 mg
Keywords: chicken salad, best chicken salad recipe, chicken salad recipe, chicken salad sandwich, chicken salad recipe, best chicken salad sandwich, best chicken salad recipe, chicken salad recipe, easy chicken salad recipe, low carb chicken salad
Yummy! I added some toasted slivered almonds. I served it with my go-to Sylvia’s no knead sourdough bread and butter lettuce and a friend suggested using the lettuce for a wrap! Will definitely make this again!
Love it Karen!
Fantastic! I had to substitute Dijon, and it was fine. I love tarragon, so used extra!! Served over bed of mixed greens. Will definitely be adding this recipe to my short list😊
Thanks so much Heather- glad you liked this! I really like this one too!
My husband love this salad. I make it into wraps for him using whole wheat tortillas. The tarragon makes it!
is this good to make?
Everything about this sandwich looks delicious. Those greens. That crusty bread. The creamy salad. Can’t wait to make this, and to someday check out that special place in Spokane. Mmm.