Delicious Grilled Tuscan Bread Salad with colorful sweet bell peppers, artichoke hearts and white beans tossed in a flavorful white balsamic dressing. Make it on the barbecue for an easy outdoor summer meal with your favorite grilled protein! Vegan!
With nothing to compare yourself to, aren’t you perfect?” ~Byron Katie
This salad is great for warm summer days. No indoor cooking needed! But really, it is so tasty and easy, you’ll be making it all year round!
Grilled colorful bell peppers along with sweet onion and rustic bread get a boost in flavor from a little toasty char. Tossed with white beans, artichokes, lots of fresh peppery basil and dressed with a simple flavorful white balsamic vinaigrette. Pretty satisfying as is or fancy it up with chèvre and kalamata olives.
Ingredients in Grilled Tuscan Bread Salad:
- bell peppers
- sweet onion
- white beans
- artichoke hearts
- rustic bread
- basil leaves
- white balsamic vinegar
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
This Tuscan Bread Salad works with many types of loaves. I like using rustic sourdough, country white, or multi-grain. Day-old bakery bread is perfect! Or use your own sourdough bread!
How to make Grilled Tuscan Bread Salad
Slice bread about 1 inch thick. If your bread is already sliced- no problem! Just watch it on the grill, as the thinner it is the more quickly it will toast.
Cut peppers into about 4 pieces per pepper, cutting so there is more flat surface area to grill.
Brush bread and peppers with oil and salt.
Grill hot until lightly charred, yet still leaving the peppers and onions with a little crunch and the bread is toasty. Set grilled veggies aside to cool.
Whisk up the vinaigrette.
This is a lovely bright and subtly sweet dressing that works well for a lot of tender summer green salads.
Add the drained beans, artichoke hearts and dressing to your bowl. Add torn basil leaves.
Tear in toasted bread. This gives irregular edges that that soak up the dressing yet still leaving crunchy crusty parts. Alternatively, you can cube the bread with a knife and it may stay a bit more crusty if that is your preference.
Toss salad all together and serve immediately! This is a fun one for entertaining outdoor dinner parties. It is easy to throw together while visiting with guests.
What to serve with Tuscan Bread Salad:
- Grilled Scallops with Tomato Vinaigrette
- Grilled Branzino!
- Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken
- Our best 35 Grilling Recipes for Summer
- Grilled Eggplant Steaks with Gremolata and Tomatoes
Hope you enjoy!Print
- 1/2 of a rustic bread loaf, about 4 slices, cut into 1 ” slices (smaller is fine if your loaf is pre-sliced)
- 3 bell peppers varies colors, cutting so there is more flat surface area to grill, about 4 pieces per pepper
- 1 sweet onion, slice in 1/2″ thick rings
- 15 oz white beans, drained
- 15 oz artichoke hearts in water, drained and sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Brush olive oil on all sides of peppers and onions. Sprinkle with salt just before placing on a preheated hot grill.
- Grill until peppers and onions are lightly charred on both sides and the bread slices are toasty on both sides. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the vinaigrette.
- Drain white beans and place in a bowl with artichoke hearts.
- Add half of the vinaigrette and toss together.
- Cut grilled vege and bread into bite-sized chunks and toss in bowl along with fresh basil leaves.
- Taste and add more dressing and salt and pepper as needed.
You may have dressing left over. It is great on a green salad, steamed greens, grilled veggies!
Add chèvre or kalamata olives.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: bread salad, tuscan bread salad, grilled bread salad, vegan bread salad, bread salad with grilled veggies, Panzanella salad