This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Grilled Scallops are one of the fastest and easiest things to get on the dinner table, and are especially nice during the summer months-a light, refreshing dinner, that can be made in no time flat.
As the heat of summer continues to radiate here, I find our grill to be such a handy tool, keeping the heat outside and our kitchen cool. Last night we grilled scallops and it literally took minutes. Scallops have such a sweet subtle flavor, they really need very little done to them, to bring out their flavor.
Here we simply tossed Scallops in love oil, added zest, salt and pepper, and skewered them. You could serve them with a little of the Tomato Vinaigrette from last week- a bright and lovely pairing, or keep it simple with a squeeze of citrus. They don’t need too much.
How to make Grilled Scallops:
Step 1: Pat the scallops dry ( important!) place in a bowl, and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper and add zest (lemon, lime or orange). Today we tried this with orange zest and a pinch of coriander!
Step 2: Marinate the scallops while the grill preheats.
Step 3: Skewer (optional). If your grill grates are spaced very close together, you won’t need to skewer the scallops. But if you feel they will fall through, skewer with two skewers, to prevent them from rotating.
Step 4: Grill. Preheat to medium-high heat and grease the grates well. Scallops are quite delicate and can tear easily if they stick. Grill over medium-high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side, depending on their size. These scallops were about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and it took about 3 minutes, on each side. Add any other grillable veggies to the grill.
Step 5: Serve! Plate the scallops (and grilled veggies) and simply squeeze with the citrus you used for zest (lemon,lime, or orange) and scatter with fresh herbs.
And if you have time, spoon some of this lovely Charred Tomato Vinaigrette over and around! You can grill the tomatoes for the vinaigrette while you grill the scallops.
What to serve with grilled scallops:
- Summer Tomato Risotto with Saffron
- Creamy polenta
- Asparagus Risotto
- Black rice
- Mashed potatoes
- Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic
A super easy summer dinner recipe that can be made in 30 minutes. Light and healthy, these grilled scallops are so tasty!
More scallop recipes you may like:
- Seared Scallops with Spring Peas, Tarragon and Truffle Oil
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Citrus Sauce
- Seared Scallops with Coconut Lemongrass Sauce
- SCALLOP CRUDO WITH WATERMELON RADISH, CUCUMBER AND SHISO
Citrus Grilled Scallops with Tomato Vinaigrette
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Category: seafood, grilling recipes,
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Mediteranean
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Soak wood skewers (if using- see notes) and preheat grill to medium-high.
- Pat the scallops dry with paper towels (important) and place in a bowl.
- Drizzle with just enough olive oil to lightly coat. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Add the zest, finely minced garlic and optional coriander. Toss gently to combine. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Skewer if needed (please see notes) using two skewers to keep them from turning.
- Grease the grill well to prevent scallops from sticking and tearing.
- Place scallops on the grill, cover, check after 2-3 minutes for grill marks, then turn. Cover, grill 2-3 minutes or until desired doneness. I typically cook to medium, remove from grill and cover with foil for a few minutes so they don’t overcook. Feel free to add other veggies to the grill and if making the Tomato Vinaigrette- I recommend grilling the tomatoes before blending.
- Serve the grilled scallops with grilled veggies or a leafy green salad and drizzle them with optional Tomato Vinaigrette or a squeeze of citrus ( orange, lime, lemon, Meyer lemon). See the post above for other ways to serve the scallops.
If your grill grates are narrowly spaced, and your scallops are large, you may not need to skewer. Faster and easier.
Scallops vary in size, so grilling time will vary. These were medium-sized scallops approx 1 1/2 to 2-inches in diameter.
- Serving Size: 4, 1-once scallops with out the dressing
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 518.6 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.4 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 13.8 g
- Cholesterol: 27.2 mg
Keywords: grilled scallops, citrus grilled scallops, how to grill scallops, grilled scallop skewers,
I had been eyeing the recipe for while when we made this over the weekend. I am so glad we splurged on the scallops! It was fast, easy, and amazingly delicious! I highly recommend making the charred tomato vinaigrette to go with it. That was also 5 star delicious and paired so nicely. It had so much flavor that really added to the tender buttery scallops! What a treat! Perfect meal with some grilled asparagus.
So glad to hear this Sus!
Just made this along with tomato saffron risotto. Amazing! Added a squeeze of lemon other than that followed recipes. exactly Will definitely make again