- Soak wood skewers (if using- see notes) and preheat grill to medium-high.
- Pat the scallops dry with paper towels (important) and place in a bowl.
- Drizzle with just enough olive oil to lightly coat. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Add the zest, finely minced garlic and optional coriander. Toss gently to combine. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Skewer if needed (please see notes) using two skewers to keep them from turning.
- Grease the grill well to prevent scallops from sticking and tearing.
- Place scallops on the grill, cover, check after 2-3 minutes for grill marks, then turn. Cover, grill 2-3 minutes or until desired doneness. I typically cook to medium, remove from grill and cover with foil for a few minutes so they don’t overcook. Feel free to add other veggies to the grill and if making the Tomato Vinaigrette- I recommend grilling the tomatoes before blending.
- Serve the grilled scallops with grilled veggies or a leafy green salad and drizzle them with optional Tomato Vinaigrette or a squeeze of citrus ( orange, lime, lemon, Meyer lemon). See the post above for other ways to serve the scallops.
If your grill grates are narrowly spaced, and your scallops are large, you may not need to skewer. Faster and easier.
Scallops vary in size, so grilling time will vary. These were medium-sized scallops approx 1 1/2 to 2-inches in diameter.
Keywords: grilled scallops, citrus grilled scallops, how to grill scallops, grilled scallop skewers,