This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
and the self must know stillness before it can discover its true song. ~ Ralph H. Blum
Moroccan Pickled Eggplant
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 quart 1x
- Category: Pickling, Preserved
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Diet: Vegan
Moroccan Eggplant Pickles with garlic, coriander seeds and cilantro. A delicious way to preserve your garden eggplant just a little bit longer! Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh herbs, they make the perfect side to any Mediterranean-style meal.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar (5 percent acidity)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 5 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 1/2 lbs assorted baby eggplants, with stems ( fairytale eggplant or small Japanese)
- olive oil and cilantro or parsley for serving
- optional additions- other whole spices, bay leaves, dried or fresh chilies, chili flakes, sliced onion, etc.
- In a medium pot, bring first 6 ingredients to a simmer.
- Slit each eggplant from blossom end almost to stem end twice, crosswise, so that eggplant splays into four “fingers” attached to the stem end.
- Place eggplant in simmering liquid and gently simmer 8-10 minutes or until eggplant is tender. ( Bigger ones will obviously take longer, mini ones shorter)
- Using tongs place eggplant in a jar, stems up, and pour the pickling liquid over top. Refrigerate 12 hours.
- To serve, place eggplant on a platter, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh cilantro or Italian parsley.
- Makes a one-quart jar, and keeps up to 4 weeks in the fridge.
Feel free to add other pickling spices- fennel seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, etc.
Pale eggplants tend to turn brown- so I typically pick out deep purple ones for this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 small eggplant
- Calories: 87
Keywords: eggplant pickles, moroccan eggplant pickles, pickled eggplant, how to pickle eggplant,
Absolutely delicious! I can’t believe the difference a few simple ingredients and a couple of days make. These are now a firm favourite. Will experiment with additional flavours next time.
love this recipe!
This recipe is beautiful. It was so easy to make and the results were delicious. I had some large aubergines and was going away for a week so decided to pickle. I extended the cooking time and used a large jar but the result was wonderful.
Glad you enjoyed!
We make these every summer- absolutely love!
So excited to find this recipe! On vacation my hubby and I found a Mediterranean cafe that served pickled eggplant stuffed with walnuts and something else. They were amazing! Going to try this ASAP.
Really good. We ate them right out of the jar. Only difference was I added red pepper flakes.
Added some red pepper flakes; didn’t need oil or anything else. Perfect as is! Much better than my pickles, said my husband!
These are so very good. I have half a jar still sitting in the fridge. This will be one of my aubergine go to recipes for years to come. Next batch I will attempt to water bath it. Since I am almost at sea level ten min should do. Have you tried long term storage of them to enjoy in winter?
Very simple and quick to make. I had a quart jar done in less than an hour. I sampled it after five days and thought the white vinegar taste was a little bit strong. I tried again after ten days and it was less noticeable. Have you or anyone else out there tried a different type of vinegar with this recipe? I love finding different ways to preserve the season’s harvest and this was so quick as compared to canning.
Hi Terry! I need to remake this recipe. It’s been a long time…I think a different vinegar would work just fine.
Thanks for the inspiration! I did a slightly different version here, more of an antipasto: http://theweeklypickle.com/week-49-pickled-eggplant/ …delish!
Can this recipe be canned in hot water bath?
Hi Susie, I’m not sure about the recipe for canning. I think you may want to search around for something specifically for that. You may want to read this…I found some useful links here.
I absolutely love eggplant but have never thought of pickling it before. I can’t wait to try this recipe!
These look adorable! Can you do it with the big ‘classic’ eggpllant?
Never would have thought to pickle eggplant before. great idea and recipe!
I am so intimidated by eggplant, but this looks like a recipe I can handle. Love your gorgeous photos!
These sound amazing! i love pickled eggplant!