Middle Eastern Eggplant Wrap with a lemony Kale Slaw with Creamy Tahini Sauce. Keep it vegan or add feta! Simple, delicious and easy!!!
This Middle Eastern Eggplant Wrap is lathered in tahini sauce and cradles warm roasted (or grilled ) eggplant. It’s topped with a mountain of lemony Everyday Kale Slaw with lots of fresh parsley and mint. Radishes give color and crunch and tomatoes when in season are a nice addition too. Keep it lean and vegan with Everyday Tahini Sauce or Zhoug, or add crumbly feta cheese or smear of plain Greek yogurt or labneh for extra richness.
Serve this for dinner- a healthy satisfying main, or make it ahead for tasty lunches during the workweek.
Look at all these fresh beautiful veggies!
Think about how energized you will feel after eating all this goodness.
While the eggplant roasts in the oven for 25 minutes, prep the rest of the ingredients. In the warmer summer months, the eggplant can also be grilled. It won’t take long and in the end you’ll have a healthy satisfying meal. One that you can be proud of, because, not only will it taste good, it will do your body good.
There are lots of whole grain wraps out there these days as well as gluten-free tortillas and GF wraps, but if you still can’t find what you need, you can forgo the wrap and turn this into a hearty salad.
Stack the Lacinato Kale then thinly slice it to create ribbons.
Chop an entire bunch of Italian parsley ( talk about cleansing!) and a handful of mint. Add red onion and your choice of radishes, cucumber or tomatoes …or all three! Toss with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper and let sit until the eggplant is done.
Whisk together the tahini sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
The roasted eggplant will be a lovely golden brown.
Heat the wrap and spread it with tahini sauce. Add some eggplant ( cutting it in half) .
Add a large mound of the Kale-Parsley Slaw. Top with tomatoes or feta. Wrap up and enjoy!
And here you have it… a simple tasty Eggplant Wrap.
Healthy, delicious Middle Eastern Eggplant Wrap- my new favorite!
I hope you give it a try.Print
Middle Eastern Eggplant Wrap
A Middle Eastern Eggplant Wrap- with roasted eggplant, shredded a kale, parsley and mint slaw, with radishes, tomatoes, onion and tahini sauce ( or sub baba ganoush!).
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: vegan
- 1 small eggplant ( 1 pound)
- olive oil, salt and pepper
Kale Slaw ( or make the Everyday Kale Slaw and add fresh herbs )
- 6-7 lacinato ( or tuscan) kale leaves – 2 cups shredded ( packed)
- 1 bunch italian parsley
- handful mint leaves
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- optional additions- sliced tomato, radishes, cucumber, feta, yogurt
Quick tahini sauce ( or sub store bought, tahini sauce or baba ganoush)
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons hot tap water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ tablespoon salt
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2- 4 wraps or tortillas ( feel free to use gluten free) 8-10 inch
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Slice eggplant into ¼ inch thick disks.
- Brush each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping over after 20 minutes. While they are baking, make the slaw filling and sauce.
- Thinly slice the kale into thin ribbons, stacking them first then slicing(see photo). Place in a bowl. Finally chop the parsley and mint, thin stems are ok. Add to the bowl along with the onion. Toss with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. You want this to be quite “juicy”, so if needed add a little more oil and lemon juice in equal portions. You can add radishes and/ or tomatoes here if you want or sprinkle them over top of the wrap.
- Whisk together the tahini sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Lightly warm or toast the tortilla or wrap. Spread the inside with tahini sauce. Top with warm eggplant and a huge mound of the dressed greens. Top with tomatoes, radishes and feta if you like.
- This recipe make 2 enormous wraps or 4 smaller ones. Or three medium ones. 🙂
- Notes: For even more flavor, grill the eggplant during the warm months. Both the eggplant and the kale slaw can be made ahead and refrigerated.