Instant Pot Mulligatawny Soup is creamy and richly satisfying with bright and spicy Indian flavors. This vegan-adaptable version is delicious as is or can easily be built upon adding chicken, more veggies and basmati rice. An easy and fast weeknight meal! With a video!
What is Mulligatawny and where did it originate?
Mulligatawny is a spiced soup that has evolved over time and is said to have originated during the British Raj, where the British clung to their desire for a soup course. However, soup was not part of traditional Indian cuisine, so a quick solution was to water down one of the South Indian dishes. The name “Mulligatawny” came from a garbled interpretation of several dishes.
The British then brought the recipe back home with them, making modifications and adaptations, adding meats and local ingredients. It became quite popular in restaurants and is still on many menus today.
Though there are many various forms and versions of this soup today, the mainstays of the original creation seem to always include curry powder, apple, and chilies.
Here is a version, made with red lentils, yams and carrots that is lusciously creamy, lightly sweet with a spicy kick. The flavors are well-rounded and warmly gratifying.
Instant Pot Mulligatawny Soup Video
In this time of seasonal transition, where signs of spring start to subtly tease, I find myself running towards the pockets of warm sunny rays. It feels so amazing to just bask in the light! Animals know! I need to take more cues from my dog who just luxuriates in the sun’s warmth without any other agenda.
I am loving more spice in my meals right now too. Give me heat in all the forms to break me out of my hibernating winter haze! Make this Mulligatawny Soup with more or less of a spicy kick, up to you!
Gather and prepare your ingredients.
Add onion, garlic, ginger, whole serrano chili, and curry powder. Saute 3 more minutes.
Set the instant pot to medium pressure for 10 minutes.
This soup keeps well in the fridge for days and flavors get even better.
Where ever you are I hope you can find some time to just simply luxuriate in the sounds and feel of the changing season, letting go of the agenda even for just a moment.
More recipes you may like:
- Our 25 Best Instant Pot Recipes | Easy Pressure Cooker Meals
- Indian Coconut Lentil Curry
- Comforting Lentil Dal with Sweet Potatoes
- Our 25 BEST Lentil Recipes!
- Moroccan Lentil Quinoa Soup
Instant Pot Mulligatawny Soup is so creamy and richly satisfying with bright and spicy Indian flavors. This vegan adaptable version is delicious as is or can easily be built upon adding chicken, more veggies and rice. An easy and fast weeknight meal!
- 3 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 serrano chili, slit in half leaving the stem intact
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 yam, cubed
- 1 green apple, cubed
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro- leaves and stems, chopped
- 1–3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Turn instant pot on saute function. Add ghee and cumin, mustard, coriander seeds. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, the slit serrano chili, and curry powder. Saute 3 more minutes.
- Add carrot, yam, apple, broth, red lentils, sea salt, tomato, and coconut milk. Stir and scrape any bits stuck on the bottom. Set the instant pot to medium pressure for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure. Stir in parsley, cilantro and lemon juice.
Optional garnish- tempered seeds (so crunchy and flavorful!) Just before serving in a small skillet, heat 2 teaspoons ghee (or grapeseed oil), 2 teaspoons each: mustard seed, whole coriander & whole cumin. Fry a few minutes until spices darken a bit and smell heavenly.
Make more of a hearty meal; add chicken thighs or breasts (or chickpeas) to the Mulligatawny before pressure cooking, cook basmati rice in a separate pot. Serve in a bowl with soup ladled over the rice. Top with yogurt, chopped tomatoes, cashews and more fresh cilantro.
For stove top follow instructions using a heavy bottom soup pot, sautéing over medium heat. After adding all ingredients let simmer 40-50 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Keywords: Instant Pot Mulligatawny Soup, Mulligatawny Soup, Mulligatawny Recipe, How to make Mulligatawny Soup