When you say “yes” to what is, you become aligned with the power and intelligence of Life itself.
Eckhart Tolle- from Stillness Speaks
Hope you are having a great week! Here’s a quick meal that comes together in 15 minutes or less if you are a fast chopper –Sesame Soba Noodle Salad with smoked salmon, scallions and cucumbers. It can be served warm as a main, or chilled as a salad. Of course you can always add more veggies, leave out the salmon entirely if going vegan and make this your own. Soba noodles, if unfamiliar, are Japanese noodles made out of buckwheat, an ancient grain, that is actually and surprisingly wheat and gluten free. I’ve been gobbling them up all week, in soups, warm noodle dishes and salads. Hearty, healthy and delicious!
Despite its name, buckwheat, is completely unrelated to wheat, and is totally wheat free, coming from a totally different plant, more closely related to rhubarb. A blessing to those with gluten intolerance or celiac, it is an amazing source of fiber, protein and nutrients. But besides all its incredible health benefits, it tastes great! I love it for its hearty, filling, energy creating qualities and its nutty flavor. If going gluten free make sure your soba noodles are made with 100% buckwheat, and no added wheat flours. Eden Foods makes soba noodles that are totally gluten free.
While the noodles are boiling, prep your veggies. I usually include cucumbers and scallions. Sometimes I’ll add bell pepper, carrots or even snow peas. Play around with what you have on hand. Even a hand full of spinach tossed in would be tasty. Or baked or smoked tofu. And if you have more time, make a quick oven roasted miso-glazed salmon, for the top. So tasty.
Serve with chopsticks.
Have a lovely day.
- 3-4 ounces soba noodles
- 1 ½ Cups sliced or diced english cucumber
- ½ C sliced green onion ( cut on the diagonal)
- 4 oz Smoked Salmon ( or smoked tofu)
- 2 T
- sesame seeds
- 2 tsp
- sesame oil
- 2 tsp tamari, soy sauce or Bragg's liquid amino acids
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Cook soba noodles, according to directions, about 4 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain, rinse with cold water, place in medium bowl and drizzle with sesame oil, soy and vinegar. Toss to coat.
- Add cucumber, scallions and sesame seeds.
- Divide among two bowls, and top with smoked salmon.
- Sesame Soba Noodles with Smoked Salmon and Cucumber- 2 servings