This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
What you’ll need for Miso Black Cod
- Black Cod – sometimes called sablefish. Do not substitute Cod or true cod, which are both very different from buttering Black Cod. Sea bass would be an OK substitute.
- White Miso Paste – the subtle flavor of white miso doesn’t complete with the fish.
How to make Miso Black Cod
Or plate it elegantly, and serve with pickled daikon ( or ginger) and a quick Miso aioli. I also add sauteed mushrooms.
More Recipes you may like:
Miso Black Cod buttery black cod in a delicious miso marinade- allow 1-3 days of marination time for best results.
- 1 lb Black Cod
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup peeled sliced daikon radish
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Optional Sake Braised Kale
- 1/4 C sliced onion
- 2–3 cups shredded Kale (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- splash Sake
- salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate. In a small saucepan, heat the mirin and sake and simmer 30 seconds to cook off the alcohol. Whisk in the white miso and the sugar until smooth and dissolved. Transfer the marinade to a large baking dish and let cool (reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade in a separate small bowl if wanting to make the miso aioli) . Add the fish to the cooled marinade, sprinkle with a little salt, and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1-3 days.
- Cook. Preheat the oven to 400°. Gently scrape off the marinade from the fish, into the baking dish, and don’t rinse the fish. Heat a little oil in a heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat. Place the fish, skin side up, in the skillet and sear until golden and caramelized, about 2-3 minutes. Turn over, and crisp up the skin, 2-3 minutes. Spoon a little marinade over the top of the fish then place fish in the oven to finish baking for 8-10 minutes, until flaky and golden.
- Serve this with Furikake rice and a veggie side dish!
- Broiling the fish can give it a nice deep color- but the marinade burns very quickly and easily. Leave 6-8 inches between broiler and fish, and watch it like a hawk!
- Optional Aioli: Mix all in a small bowl. Add sriracha if you like spicy.
- Optional Pickled Diakon: Bring all ingredients to a simmer in a small pot, until sugar dissolves, remove from heat and chill.
- Make Optional Kale “Nests” – Heat a little oil in a heavy bottom skillet, over med high heat. Saute onion until just tender, about 2-3 minutes. Turn heat to med, add kale. Stir and let it wilt, 3-5 minutes. Splash with a little sake, let it burn off, season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 24
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 889.1 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.5 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Black cod, black cod recipes, nobu, miso salmon, miso cod, plating fish, easy fish recipes, black cod marinade, miso marinade for fish,