Here is a simple recipe for Soba Noodle Salad, loaded with seasonal veggies, that is adaptable and vegan! For a protein boost, top with savory tofu, smoked salmon, grilled chicken. Quick, easy and full of earthy-crunchy goodness. Video (updated 3/2022)
Eckhart Tolle- from Stillness Speaks
This Soba Noodle Salad is loaded with veggies and dressed with a flavorful, simple sesame dressing. Add protein for a quick healthy meal! We love it topped with smoked or baked tofu or smoked salmon.
The veggies are tossed in raw full of nutrients and crunchy texture. This is great for a light dinner, or wrap it up for a picnic or potluck to share!
Soba Noodle Salad Video
Soba noodles, if unfamiliar, are Japanese noodles made out of buckwheat, an ancient grain, that is actually and surprisingly wheat and gluten free. Perfect for soups, warm noodle dishes and salads. Hearty, healthy and delicious!
Ingredients in Soba Noodle Salad
- Noodles: buckwheat soba
- Vegetables: cucumber, Bok Choy or napa cabbage, colored bell pepper, snow peas, green onions
- Fresh Herbs: dill, cilantro, mint
- Protein Options: baked tofu, smoked salmon, grilled chicken
- Dressing: sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, sugar
- Garnishes: toasted sesame seeds, dulse flakes, chili flakes
Despite its name, buckwheat, is completely unrelated to wheat, and is totally wheat-free, coming from a totally different plant, more closely related to rhubarb. A blessing to those with gluten intolerance or celiac, it is an amazing source of fiber, protein and nutrients. But besides all its incredible health benefits, it tastes great! I love it for its hearty, filling, energy-creating qualities and its nutty flavor. If going gluten-free make sure your soba noodles are made with 100% buckwheat, and no added wheat flours. Eden Foods makes soba noodles that are totally gluten-free.
How to make Soba Noodle Salad
Step One: Whisk together the dressing.
Step Two:. Start the noodles cooking.
Tips for perfectly cooked Buckwheat Soba Noodles
- Cook in plenty of water.
- Don’t salt the cooking water.
- Do not overcook.
- Rinse immediately and thoroughly in cold water.
Step Three: While the noodles are boiling, prep your veggies. Play around with what you have on hand. Get some inspiration from the farmers market or better yet, use what is growing in your garden!
Step Four: Add prepped veggies into the noodles and toss with the dressing.
More Buckwheat Soba Noodle Recipes to Enjoy
What to Serve with Soba Noodle Salad
- Baked Tofu with 3 Flavorful Marinades!
- How to make Crispy Tofu
- Simple Baked Miso Salmon
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- White Miso Black Cod
- Fast & Easy Seared Tuna (Ahi or Yellowfin Tuna)
A simple recipe for Soba Noodle Salad, loaded with veggies, that is adaptable and vegan! For a protein boost, top with savory baked tofu, smoked salmon, grilled chicken.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup tamari, soy sauce or Bragg’s liquid amino acids
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 ½ cups English cucumber, sliced in half moons or diced
- 2 cups Bok Choy (or napa cabbage or green cabbage), shredded
- 1 colored bell pepper, cut in small strips
- 1 cup snow peas, chopped
- ½ cups sliced green onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup mixed herbs, dill cilantro mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 oz Smoked Salmon or baked tofu (optional)
- Whisk together the dressing. Combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin and sugar.
- Cook soba noodles, according to package directions, (about 4-6 minutes) in plenty of boiling salted water. Drain, rinse with lots of cold water, place in medium bowl.
- Add prepped veggies into the noodles and toss with the dressing.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top.
- If desired top with smoked tofu or smoked salmon.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 396
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 258.4 mg
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 66 g
- Fiber: 15.9 g
- Protein: 17.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: soba noodle salad, soba noodles, soba noodle salad recipe, smoked salmon noodle salad recipe, soba salad