We have forgotten what rocks, plants and animals still know. We have forgotten how to be-to be still, to be ourselves, to be where life is: Here and Now.
This flavorful Sheet-Pan Voodoo Bowl can be kept vegan, or made with Chicken. So many of you keep telling me how challenging it is cooking for mixed households with vegans, gluten free and meat-eaters all living under the same roof. I’m creating a new recipe category for you called “Adaptable” with recipes that can adapted easily at the time of cooking, to fit all needs.
Here tofu or chicken is baked in a flavorful Haitian style marinade along with sweet potatoes (or plantains) bell peppers, cabbage, onions and any other roast-able vegetable you would care to use up. Here I’ve added a stray parsnip, a carrot and even some cabbage. It all works. The citrusy marinade has undertones of allspice and cinnamon, giving this dish a whisper of the exotic. The bright, sweet mango brings it all together, along with the lime, so don’t skip this part. Serve it over a bed of rice, whole grains or black beans like you see here. Full of healthy veggies, loaded with antioxidants, this Sheet-Pan Voodoo Bowl is so satisfying and the best part, it is very simple to make! Give it a whirl.
Like I mentioned…this recipe works well for mixed households where some are vegetarian/ vegan and others prefer meat. You can make both on one sheet pan, like you see below.
Make the quick marinade in the blender and lather it over the chicken and tofu.
Drizzle a little over the veggies and toss. Make sure veggies are in a single layer, and not overlapping too much.
Place in a hot oven and roast until done.
Place over a bowl of warm seasoned beans or rice or grains.
Serve it over blackens or rice and add fresh sliced mango, a squeeze of lime and scallions.
Sheet- Pan Voodoo Bowl – a little magic for you this week!
PS. I’m back from Bali. As much as I love travel, boy does it feels good to sleep in my own bed. Excited to get cooking again!! I’ve missed you!
- 2-4 chicken breasts or tofu filets ( or use some of each)
- 1 diced yam ( ¾ inch dice), or try sliced plantains!
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper -cut into one inch wedges
- Other optional veggies- cabbage ( cut into wedges) parsnips, carrots,
- 1 can seasoned Black beans
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 lime
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup orange juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or Gluten free Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
- 2 teaspoons honey, maple or agave
- 5 fat garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste ( after)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove ( or sub nutmeg)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne or chili flakes or alleppo ( optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Place marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place chicken and tofu on a parchment lined sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Pour some marinade over top, brushing and turning them over to get both sides coated well.
- Prep the veggies and place on the sheet pan in a single layer alongside the chicken and either use a little more marinade to lightly coat the veggies, or season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. You may have extra marinade depending on how many servings you make.
- Place sheet pan in a hot oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Give the veggies a quick toss after 15 minutes , for more even cooking.
- Slice the mango and scallions and heat the beans.
- Divide the seasoned warm beans among 2- 4 bowls, arrange with roasted veggies and tofu or chicken. Add sliced fresh mango, squeeze with lime and sprinkle with scallions.