Caribbean-Style Island Bowl with roasted cabbage, sweet potatoes and tofu ( or chicken) baked in the most flavorful Caribbean-style marinade, served over a bed of seasoned black beans with fresh mango and lime!
- 16 ounces chicken breast or tofu filets ( or use half of each)
- 1 diced sweet potato or yam ( 3/4 inch dice), or try sliced plantains!
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper -cut into one-inch wedges
- 1/2 cabbage ( cut into wedges) or sub parsnips or carrots!
- 1 can black beans ( or sub-cooked rice or grains)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 lime
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or Gluten free Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
- 2 teaspoons honey, maple or agave
- 5 fat garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste ( after)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove ( or sub nutmeg)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chili flakes or Aleppo ( optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Place marinade ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place tofu and/or chicken on a parchment lined sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Pour some marinade over top, brushing and turning them over to get both sides coated well.
- Prep the veggies and place on the sheet pan in a single layer alongside the tofu/ chicken ( or use another sheet pan) and either use any extra marinade to lightly coat the veggies, or season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. You may have extra marinade depending on how many servings you make.
- Place sheet pan in a hot oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Give the veggies a quick toss after 15 minutes , for more even cooking.
- Slice the mango and scallions and heat the beans in a small pot.
- Season the beans with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of cumin.
- Divide the seasoned warm beans among 2-4 bowls, arrange with the roasted veggies and tofu or chicken. Add sliced fresh mango, squeeze with lime and sprinkle with scallions.
Leftovers will keep up to four days in the fridge. Don’t skip the mango!!!
- Serving Size: -with 4 ounces tofu
- Calories: 449
- Sugar: 16.6 g
- Sodium: 518.3 mg
- Fat: 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.6 g
- Fiber: 13.3 g
- Protein: 18.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: island bowl recipe, island bowl, vegan buddha bowl, buddha bowl recipe, sheet pan dinners, Caribbean chicken recipes, Caribbean recipes, Caribbean marinade, healthy bowl, mango recipes