This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Warm Red Cabbage Slaw with tart apples is a delicious winter side dish with a lovely sweet and sour balance. A healthy complement to rich holiday dishes. Simple to make. Vegan and gluten-free.
I once asked a bird, “How do you fly in this gravity of darkness?” And she replied, “Love lifts me.” ~Hafiz
This Warm Red Cabbage Slaw is a healthy version of a classic German side dish that was always on our family holiday table growing up. It has an addicting balance of texture and bright flavors complimenting many of the rich foods commonly eaten this time of year.
Red cabbage is shredded and sautéed with tart green apple and savory onions. Red wine vinegar, a little coconut sugar (brown sugar or maple syrup work too) and a pinch of ground clove create a vivid delicious sweet and sour flavor.
Simple ingredients, easy to make, and I think you will find yourself coming back for more and more! It holds well for a few days in the fridge. Warm up leftovers or just eat cold as we do!
What you’ll need for Warm Cabbage Slaw
- red cabbage
- green apple
- olive oil
- coconut sugar, maple syrup or brown sugar
- red wine vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper
- ground cloves
How to make Warm Red Cabbage Slaw
Shred cabbage by slicing thinly, slice the onion into thin half-moons, cut apples into small pieces.
Sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
Add apple, coconut sugar (or brown sugar), 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, ground cloves and stir until mixed.
Add red cabbage and cook on low heat stirring occasionally for 20 minutes, uncovered. Cabbage will just be wilted and tender.
Add more vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
What to serve with Warm Red Cabbage Slaw
- Vegan Shepherds Pie
- Sagey Leek and White Bean Patties
- Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Savory Leek and Kale Galette
- French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Rosemary Chicken with Roasted Grapes and Shallots
- Rosemary Garlic Beef Roast with Wild Mushrooms
- Roasted Leg of Lamb
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
More recipes you may enjoy
- Melting Slow-Braised Cabbage
- Brothy Leek, Lamb & Cabbage Soup
- Turkish Cabbage Rolls
- Our BEST Holiday Side Dishes
- Mexican Slaw with Cilantro and Lime
- Simple Cabbage Soup
Hope you enjoy this Warm Red Cabbage Slaw!
Warm Red Cabbage Slaw with tart apples is a delicious winter side dish with a lovely sweet and sour balance. A perfect healthy compliment to rich holiday dishes.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large green apple, 1 1/2 cups, chopped in small pieces
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar, maple syrup or brown sugar
- 3–4 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 medium head red cabbage, about 2 pounds (908 grams), thinly shredded
- Sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add apple, coconut sugar (or brown sugar), 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, ground cloves and stir until mixed.
- Add red cabbage and turn down to low heat stirring occasionally, cooking for 20 minutes, uncovered. Cabbage will be wilted and lightly tender.
- Add more vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Holds beautifully in the fridge for 3 days.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 117
- Sugar: 10.6 g
- Sodium: 331.2 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cabbage slaw, warm cabbage slaw, sauteed cabbage, warm cabbage apple slaw, warm slaw