Thai Crunch Salad loaded up with shredded veggies, fresh herbs, scallions and a light peanut ginger dressing- vegan and gluten free!
Happy 4th of July weekend!! This is the refreshing Thai Crunch Salad I was telling you about in the last post… which tastes so good with this Indonesian Style, Grilled Sambal Chicken (or this baked Sesame Ginger Tofu! ). The salad is made with fresh summer vegetables, mint, Thai basil and scallions, then tossed in a very light citrus infused peanut dressing –simple healthy ingredients, and full of flavor.
What I love about this Thai Crunch Salad, is its versatility. It’s a great way to use up all the stray farmers market veggies we have in our refrigerator drawers. I make this solely with vegetables, using shredded cabbage as the base, but it could easily be made with rice or soba noodles if you wanted to bulk it up. The peanut dressing is not overly thick, sitting very lightly on the vegetables. It’s a salad that keeps well and tastes great for several days.
If meal-prepping, keep the dressing separate and add it as needed.
You can also use the veggie-base as a stir-fry – as a very helpful reader shared with me in the comments below! Love this idea!!!
Depending on how many veggies you add to the bowl, you may not need all the dressing. So add gradually, then toss.
Platter the salad and scatter fresh herbs, scallions, chives and crushed roasted peanuts overtop.
Here it is with the flavorful Indonesian Style Sambal Chicken.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!Print
Thai Crunch Salad with Peanut Dressing is loaded up with healthy veggies, herbs and scallions. EASY, Vegan and gluten free!
- 4 Cups shredded Cabbage ( green, purple or napa)
- 1 Cup shredded (or matchstick) Carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1–2 Cups veggies of your choice- sliced cucumber, radish, matchstick kohlrabi, matchstick jicama, snap peas, grated turnips, or shredded green papaya, or sliced mango.
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs- mint, basil, or cilantro ( a combo is nice)
- ½ cup-¾ cup sliced scallions ( or chives) sliced on the diagonal ( or sub thinly sliced red onion)
- ½ cup crushed roasted peanuts (or cashews)
Peanut Ginger Dressing
- 1 orange, both zest and juice (1 tablespoon zest, 1/3 cup-1/2 cup juice)
- 1 lime, juice (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons honey, maple, agave or brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 thin sliced disks of ginger (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Amino Acids (GF)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2– 1 teaspoon sambal (red chile paste) or sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste.
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or roasted peanuts)
- Place cabbage, veggies, scallions and herbs ( save a tablespoon for garnish) in a large bowl. Add peanuts, saving some for the top (or add right before serving).
- Make dressing: Zest the orange and place in a blender, then squeeze the orange juice into the blender. Add the lime juice, honey, garlic, sliced ginger, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sambal, and salt and all the rest of the ingredients except the peanuts (or peanut butter) into a blender. Blend until smooth. Finally add peanut butter (or peanuts) blend again, adding more to desired thickness. Taste, adjust salt, adding more if you like.
- Dress the salad with some or half of the dressing- you may not need all – tossing as you go, adding more if necessary.
- Refrigerate the salad –it likes to be nice and cold.
- Garnish with remaining herbs and peanuts. Serve with the optional Sambal Chicken or Baked Ginger Sesame Tofu
Keywords: Thai salad, thai crunch salad, thai salad recipe, thai salad vegan, thai salad peanut sauce, crunch salad, thai cabbage salad, thai slaw recipe