This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Thai Crunch Salad loaded up with shredded summer veggies, fresh mint, basil and scallions and tossed in a light Peanut Dressing- vegan and gluten-free!
This Thai Crunch Salad ( or slaw) is made with fresh summer vegetables- cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, radishes, cucumbers- with fresh mint, Thai basil and scallions, and tossed in a very light citrus-infused Peanut Dressing –simple healthy ingredients and full of flavor.
What I love about this Thai Crunch Salad, is its versatility. It’s a great way to use up all the stray farmers’ market veggies we have in our refrigerator drawers. I make this solely with vegetables, using shredded cabbage as the base, but it could easily be made with rice or soba noodles if you wanted to bulk it up.
The peanut dressing is not overly thick, sitting very lightly on the vegetables. It’s a salad that keeps well and tastes great for several days
Ingredients in Thai Crunch Salad
- Shredded Cabbage ( green, purple or napa)
- Shredded Carrots
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper
- Addional veggies: your choice of cucumber, radish, matchstick kohlrabi, matchstick jicama, snap peas, grated turnips, or shredded green papaya, or sliced mango.
- Chopped fresh herbs- mint, basil, or cilantro (a combo is nice)
- Crushed roasted peanuts (or cashews)
- an orange
- a lime
- honey, maple, agave or brown sugar
- garlic cloves
- fresh ginger
- olive oil
- sesame oil
- soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Amino Acids (GF)
- rice vinegar
- sambal (red chile paste) or sriracha sauce
- peanut butter (or roasted peanuts)
- salt and pepper
Depending on how many veggies you add to the bowl, you may not need all the dressing. So add gradually, then toss.
What to serve with Thai Crunch Salad
- Indonesian Grilled Sambal Chicken
- Asian-Style Baked Tofu
- Thai Chicken ( or Tofu) Satay (Vegan-adaptable!)
- Instant Pot Thai Curry Chicken
- Thai Basil Chicken
- Thai Turkey Burger Recipe w/ Asian Slaw
- Thai Turkey Meatballs
Platter the salad and scatter fresh herbs, scallions, chives and crushed roasted peanuts over top.
Crunchy, flavorful, healthy and delicious!
- If meal-prepping, keep the dressing separate and add it as needed. Salad will keep 4 days in the fridge.
- You can also use the veggie-base as a stir-fry – as a very helpful reader shared with me in the comments below! Love this idea!!!
Other Slaws you may enjoy:
- Thai Noodle Salad with the BEST EVER Peanut Sauce
- Easy Crunchy Asian Slaw
- Lebanese Slaw (Salatet Malfouf)
- Mexican Slaw with Cilantro and Lime
- Everyday Kale Slaw (Vegan)
- Sesame Cabbage Noodle Salad
- Asian Cucumber Salad
Hope you enjoy this salad- tell us what you think in the comments below!
Thai Crunch Salad with Peanut Dressing is loaded up with healthy veggies, herbs and scallions. EASY, Vegan and gluten free!
- 4 cups shredded Cabbage ( green, purple or napa)
- 1 cup shredded (or matchstick) Carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1–2 cups veggies of your choice- sliced cucumber, radish, matchstick kohlrabi, matchstick jicama, snap peas, grated turnips, or shredded green papaya, or sliced mango.
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs- mint, basil, or cilantro ( a combo is nice)
- 1/2 cup-3/4 cup sliced scallions ( or chives) sliced on the diagonal ( or sub thinly sliced red onion)
- 1/2 cup crushed roasted peanuts (or cashews)
- 1 orange, both zest and juice (1 tablespoon zest, 1/3 cup-1/2 cup juice)
- 1 lime, juice (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons honey, maple, agave or brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 thin sliced disks of ginger (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Amino Acids (GF)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2– 1 teaspoon sambal (red chile paste) or sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste.
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or roasted peanuts)
- Place cabbage, veggies, scallions and herbs ( save a tablespoon for garnish) in a large bowl. Add peanuts, saving some for the top (or add right before serving).
- Make dressing: Zest the orange and place in a blender, then squeeze the orange juice into the blender. Add the lime juice, honey, garlic, sliced ginger, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sambal, and salt and all the rest of the ingredients except the peanuts (or peanut butter) into a blender. Blend until smooth. Finally add peanut butter (or peanuts) blend again, adding more to desired thickness. Taste, adjust salt, adding more if you like.
- Dress the salad with some or half of the dressing- you may not need all – tossing as you go, adding more if necessary.
- Refrigerate the salad –it likes to be nice and cold.
- Garnish with remaining herbs and peanuts. Serve with the optional Sambal Chicken or Baked Ginger Sesame Tofu
Click on the Peanut Dressing link in the recipe for the nutritional info the dressing only.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 96.1 mg
- Fat: 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.8 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Thai salad, thai crunch salad, thai salad recipe, thai salad vegan, thai salad peanut sauce, crunch salad, thai cabbage salad, thai slaw recipe