This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
In the heat of summer, there is nothing more refreshing than a Slushie. Slushies are frosty cups of goodness made with blended summer berries, ice, and a squeeze of citrus. Healthy and delcious!
This Shushie Recipe is so fast and easy! In just five minutes, you’ll have the most refreshing, frosty glass of goodness- a healthier alternative to ice cream, perfect for the hot summer months!
A slushie, in essence, is a blended ice drink typically made with fruit, or fruit-flavored syrup. We use whole fruit here for a healthier approach!
Why You’ll Love Slushies!
- They are a healthy alternative to ice cream. Made with fruit and ice they are healthier, less sweet, lower in calories, and satisfy a sweet tooth.
- They highlight summer berries and fruit!
- They are refreshing and energizing -a totally satisfying dessert, perfect for hot summer evenings!
Ingredients in a slushie:
- Fresh summer berries– strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or a mix
- Sweetener of choice: maple syrup , monk fruit, honey
- Optional: a squeeze of orange or lemon, and a few drops of vanilla!
How to make the BEST slushie
- Place berries in a blender and squeeze of citrus and a little honey or maple syrup.
- Blend until smooth. Add a splash of water if need be, to get the blender going.
- Add ice, a little at a time, until thick and super frosty!
- Taste, and adjust sweetness to your liking. Berries often have different levels of sweetness, some are quite tart. So always adjust to taste!
Enjoy these frosty guys!
How to make a homemade slushie with fresh berries. Vegan, gluten-free and can be made in 5 minutes!
- 3 cups strawberries, quartered (about 10-12 medium strawberries) or sub other fresh berries
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup, more to taste
- a squeeze of lime, orange or lemon (1 tablespoon)
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 –2 cups ice (more to create desired consistency)
- Other additions- huckleberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, mango, etc.
- Place strawberries, maple and a squeeze of citrus in a blender. Blend until smooth. If need be, add a splash of water to the bender to get it going.
- Taste, adding more maple or citrus to taste if you like. You want a nice balance between sweet and tart. The sweeter and riper the strawberries are the less maple or honey you will need.f
- Add the ice cubes a little at a time, blending until fully incorporated, adding more ice to the blender (if you like) to get it really thick and icy. If you’ve got a good blender, let it go just a bit it longer, it will take on a slightly creamy look. It should be thick enough to mound on a spoon, and not be runny.
- Spoon into one large glass or two smaller glasses. Serve with a spoon. 🙂
Feel free to add other berries to the mix- blueberries, huckleberries, blackberries, etc.
If you’d like a bit of creaminess, add a few spoonfuls of yogurt- super tasty. 🙂
- Serving Size: (with 2 teaspoons honey)
- Calories: 68
- Sugar: 12.9 g
- Sodium: 1.7 mg
- Fat: 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: slushie, slushie recipes, slushie recipe, homemade slushie, how to make a slushie, strawberry slushie, strawberry slushie