This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Cauliflower Steak Recipe ingredients
- Extra large cauliflower (or 2 medium heads). I always buy extra if serving to guests to ensure that I’ll have the correct amount of intact slices.
- Olive oil– You’ll need some for roasting and some for making the gremolata sauce.
- Salt and pepper – for both the roasting cauliflower and the gremolata.
- Italian parsley – you’ll need an entire bunch for the gremolata.
- Garlic cloves- finely minced
- Lemon– you’ll need both the zest and the juice.
- Chili flakes- optional for nice for a little heat!
How to make Cauliflower Steak
Step one: Roast the cauliflower.
Trim and slice the cauliflower into 3/4 inch slices., brush with olive oil and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
Roast in the oven at 425F until golden and tender, about 30 minutes.
Step two: Make the gremolata.
While the cauliflower roasts make the gremolata. ( You can always do this ahead!)
Italian parsley is the base of gremolata…. but sometimes I’ll add fresh mint, basil or even cilantro.
Chop it finely. You need 1 Cup of fresh chopped herbs.
Add lemon zest of one large lemon.
Add two to three finely minced garlic cloves. Then mix it up.
Step three: Assemble.
When the cauliflower is tender and golden, arrange it on a platter or divide it among bowls over rice or creamy polenta.
Cauliflower Steak Serving Suggestions
If serving as a main course, I love it served in a wide shallow bowl over one of the following!
- Instant Pot Polenta or This Creamy Polenta
- Instant Pot Risotto Recipe
- Everday Quinoa!
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Lemony Corona Beans with Olive Oil, Garlic & Herbs
More Favorite Cauliflower Recipes
If you have leftover cauliflower- use it in one of these!
- Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Toasted Walnuts, Parsley, Garlic & Lemon zest
- Cauliflower Tacos with Mole Sauce (Vegan!)
- Purple Cauliflower Salad (Sicilian Style!)
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice Bowl with Tofu and Veggies
- 33+ Best Cauliflower Recipes
- 1 extra large cauliflower-sliced into 3/4 inch slices (please see notes)
- olive oil
- salt, pepper and optional chili flakes
- 1 bunch Italian parsley- finely chopped- 1 Cup (or use part mint or cilantro)
- 2 garlic cloves- very finely minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil (make sure it is not bitter)
- zest of one large lemon (1 1/2 tablespoons) finely chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- optional- chili flakes to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- Slice Cauliflower into ¾-inch thick slices. Trim the leaves away. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and a little pepper.
- Roast uncovered in the middle of the oven, until golden and fork tender, about 30 minutes (check at 25 minutes). The thicker the slices the longer they will need to roast.
- While cauliflower steaks are roasting, make the gremolata. Chop Italian parsley ( some stems are ok) finely, to make roughly one cup, and place in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Add chili flakes to taste, optional.
- When Cauliflower is golden and tender, arrange on a platter, and drizzle gremolata over the top.
- Alternatively, plate the cauliflower steak- serve over a bowl of creamy polenta, creamy risotto, rice, quinoa, stewy white beans or chickpeas etc. and drizzle with the gremolata.
Cauliflower: The number of cauliflower slices with stems intact depends on the size of the cauliflower. Plan on 2-3 slices for small to medium cauliflower, 3-4 slices for extra large ones. If cooking for a dinner party, I always pick up an extra one, just to be safe.
- Serving Size: One cauliflower steak with 2 tablespoons gremolata
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 217.7 mg
- Fat: 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.5 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cauliflower steak recipe, cauliflower steak, cauliflower steaks, how to make cauliflower steaks, roasted cauliflower steak, roasted cauliflower steaks, vegan side dishes, vegan side dish recipes, gremolata recipe,