This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Rhubarb Jam with Chia Seeds and Maple Syrup – a fast and easy small-batch recipe for the most flavorful rhubarb jam, made with no sugar! Use this on morning yogurt, granola, almond butter toast or ice-cream!
Friendship is like a sheltering tree. ~ Coleridge
This Rhubarb Jam is so simple to make. It’s brightly flavored and tangy with just enough sweetness from the maple syrup to let the rhubarb really shine. Full of incredible nutrients, rhubarb contains so many healing properties- from lowering cholesterol and fighting inflammation, to lowering the risk of Alzheimer’s. The list goes on and on…
What I love most about this recipe that my friend Tonia created, is how quick it is and how adaptable it is. Adjust the sweetness to your liking, and play around with flavor additions. Chia seeds give the jam its wonderful consistency without having to add sugar.
We have been enjoying this Rhubarb spooned over yogurt, on sourdough toast with almond butter, with soft cheeses and sometimes just by the spoonful. Another simple delicious recipe by my friend Tonia.
It starts with 3 cups, finely diced rhubarb. Try to find the most deeply colored stocks, although their color will not affect the flavor.
Simmer with a little water, maple syrup and any additional flavorings- today I’ve added a little ginger and cardamon.
Once the rhubarb is just tender, stir in the chia seeds.
The chia seeds will plumb up and absorb some of the liquid, giving this a jam like consistency without adding sugar.
Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 5-6 days.
More Rhubarb recipes you may enjoy
- Rhubarb Tart with Lemon, Cardamom & Vanilla
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler with Orange and Ginger
- Rhubarb Muffins
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (vegan & gluten-free)
- Rhubarb Shrub Recipe!
- Mini Pavlovas with Strawberry, Rhubarb & Mint
- Upside Down Rhubarb Cake (Gluten-free)
- In a sauce pan, combine rhubarb, water, sweetener of choice, and ginger (if using). Bring to a low simmer for about 8-10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Take off the heat when rhubarb is soft but not completely broken down.
- Stir in lemon juice and chia seeds. The chia will fully plump up in about an hour.
Another interesting note on rhubarb is that there is no difference in flavor and sweetness between the red stalks and the green stalks. Though the red stalks for jam seems so much more appealing!
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 34
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 2.6 mg
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.7 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Rhubarb jam, Chia Jam, Rhubarb jam recipes, Rhubarb chia Jam, sugar free rhubarb jam, rhubarb recipes, paleo rhubarb recipes, sugar free rhubarb recipes, how to make chia jam