Maple-Sweetened Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Chia Seeds and a crumbly oat- almond topping – a vegan, gluten-free dessert that highlights spring rhubarb. Serve this warm with your favorite ice-cream! A healthier version of one of our favorite desserts, perfect for Mothers Day!
In this warm and rustic spring-inspired crisp, strawberry and rhubarb become meltingly tender as they bake together with maple syrup. Chia seeds soak up the juices while adding nutrients, fiber and texture. The almond flour and oat topping turns out perfectly crisp and it’s gluten-free! A healthier, vegan version of one of our favorite desserts.
It’s still a little early here for local strawberries, but the rhubarb abounds in masses.
In this crisp, there are slightly more rhubarb, by volume than strawberries.
Slice the rhubarb into ½ inch thick slices.
Quarter the strawberries.
Then sprinkle the crisp with the gluten-free, almond flour– oat topping.
Sprinkle the topping over top, resisting the urge to pat down.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbling and golden at 375F .
Enjoy the glorious aromas that will waft from the oven…
Serve warm in bowls with a scoop of your favorite vegan ice cream.
This is something I know my mom would have loved… and I hope your mom does too.
Happy Mothers Day friends.
Maple-Sweetened Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Chia Seeds and a crumbly oat topping – a vegan, gluten-free dessert that highlights spring rhubarb.
- 16 ounces strawberries
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped into ½ inch thick slices ( about 4–5 stalks)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven 375F
- Wash and quarter the strawberries. If very large, quarter again, so each piece is roughly ½ inch thick. Slice the rhubarb into ½ inch slices. Place both in a bowl and add the maple, chia, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla and pinch salt. Stir well. Place in a, greased, 8×8 baking dish or 2-quart baking dish. (The pan in the photo is 5 x12)
- To make the crumble, place all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix really well.
- Lightly drop crumble evenly over the top and do not press down.
- Place in the oven, uncovered for 40 minutes. If the top is golden and the edges are bubbly, it’s time to take it out.
- Otherwise, continue baking for 5-7 more minutes. Let sit 15 mins before serving.
Serve warm with vegan vanilla, coconut, cardamom or strawberry ice-cream.
Leftovers are delicious cold and make a yummy breakfast.
Keywords: rhubarb crisp, strawberry rhubarb crisp, vegan crisp recipes, vegan rhubarb crisp, vegan strawberry crisp,