Maple-Sweetened Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Chia Seeds and a crumbly oat topping – a vegan, gluten-free dessert that highlights spring rhubarb.
- 16 ounces strawberries
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch thick slices ( about 4-5 stalks)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1 cup GF rolled oats
- 1 cup almond flour ( or sub other flour)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil – or olive oil or butter or ghee!
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom– optional
- 1/4 teaspoon nigela seeds- optional
- Preheat oven 375F
- Wash and quarter the strawberries. If very large, quarter again, so each piece is roughly ½ inch thick. Slice the rhubarb into ½ inch slices. Place both in a bowl and add the maple, chia, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla and pinch salt. Stir well. Place in a, greased, 8×8 baking dish or 2-quart baking dish. (The pan in the photo is 5 x12)
- To make the crumble, place all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix really well.
- Lightly drop crumble evenly over the top and do not press down.
- Place in the oven, uncovered for 40 minutes. If the top is golden and the edges are bubbly, it’s time to take it out.
- Otherwise, continue baking for 5-7 more minutes. Let sit 15 mins before serving.
- Serving Size: ¾ cup
- Calories: 259
- Sugar: 20 g
- Sodium: 443.4 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.2 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: rhubarb crisp, strawberry rhubarb crisp, vegan crisp recipes, vegan rhubarb crisp, vegan strawberry crisp,