A simple recipe for Strawberry Breakfast Cake– perfect for a special brunch or morning gathering (like Mother’s Day) that can be made Gluten-free!
Here’s a little Mother’s day inspiration… Strawberry Breakfast Cake! Who wouldn’t want their breakfast cake, and eat it too, in bed. A sweet treat for mom this Sunday morning.
The nice thing about this Breakfast Cake recipe is it can also be made with gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour – both turn out lovely. Almond flour gives it a delicious rich density, almost like a torte.
Fresh seasonal strawberries are not only pretty, they are sweet and juicy, and full of flavor- but know that other fresh berries will work too.
Strawberry preserves are spooned into the middle of the cake before baking ( optional, but oh so tasty!) .
This week I’ve partnered with Bonne Maman and what I personally like about these preserves and this brand is they are non- GMO verified and use no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial colorings or flavorings.
Simple real ingredients. It tastes like real homemade preserves- and it’s packaged in a very cute french style jar. In case you were wondering Mamam means grandmother or “granny” in french. Good Granny.
Top with fresh strawberries.
Bake for 50-60 minutes.
When it comes out it will be deliciously golden.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with maple syrup.
This Strawberry Breakfast Cake is so simple and tasty!
A simple recipe for Strawberry Breakfast Cake, a perfect beginning or ending for a special brunch. Can be made gluten-free.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup Strawberry Preserves, (plus more for filling-optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour ( try whole wheat or gluten free!)
- ½ cup almond meal or flour ( you can sub regular flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pint strawberries halved – or sub other fresh berries
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- maple syrup for drizzling- optional
- powdered sugar for sprinkling – optional
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl, and mix until combined. Add vanilla and preserves and whip well.
- Whisk flours, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl then add it to the batter, until just combined.
- Spoon the 1/2 of the batter into a lightly greased 10 inch cast-iron skillet. At this point, you could spoon little dots of strawberry preserves (another 1/4 cup) then top with the remaining batter. (This is optional, feel free to leave the extra preserves out if you like.)
- Arrange the strawberries, skin side up, all over the batter, covering it. Sprinkle the top with the lemon juice.
- Bake until cake is golden and puffed, and a toothpick inserted into a center part of the cake comes out free of batter, about 50 -60 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Keywords: breakfast cake, strawberry cake, skillet cake, strawberry skillet cake,