A simple recipe for Strawberry Breakfast Cake– perfect for a special brunch or morning gathering (like Mother’s Day) that can be made Gluten-free!
Here’s a little Mother’s day inspiration… Strawberry Breakfast Cake! Who wouldn’t want their breakfast cake, and eat it too, in bed. A sweet treat for mom this Sunday morning.
The nice thing about this Breakfast Cake recipe is it can also be made with gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour – both turn out lovely. Almond flour gives it a delicious rich density, almost like a torte.
Fresh seasonal strawberries are not only pretty, they are sweet and juicy, and full of flavor- but know that other fresh berries will work too.
Strawberry preserves are spooned into the middle of the cake before baking ( optional, but oh so tasty!) .
This week I’ve partnered with Bonne Maman and what I personally like about these preserves and this brand is they are non- GMO verified and use no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial colorings or flavorings.
Simple real ingredients. It tastes like real homemade preserves- and it’s packaged in a very cute french style jar. In case you were wondering Mamam means grandmother or “granny” in french. Good Granny.
Top with fresh strawberries.
Bake for 50-60 minutes.
When it comes out it will be deliciously golden.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with maple syrup.
More recipes you may enjoy
This Strawberry Breakfast Cake is so simple and tasty!
A simple recipe for Strawberry Breakfast Cake, a perfect beginning or ending for a special brunch. Can be made gluten-free.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup Strawberry Preserves, (plus more for filling-optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour ( try whole wheat or gluten free!)
- ½ cup almond meal or flour ( you can sub regular flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pint strawberries halved – or sub other fresh berries
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- maple syrup for drizzling- optional
- powdered sugar for sprinkling – optional
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl, and mix until combined. Add vanilla and preserves and whip well.
- Whisk flours, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl then add it to the batter, until just combined.
- Spoon the 1/2 of the batter into a lightly greased 10 inch cast-iron skillet. At this point, you could spoon little dots of strawberry preserves (another 1/4 cup) then top with the remaining batter. (This is optional, feel free to leave the extra preserves out if you like.)
- Arrange the strawberries, skin side up, all over the batter, covering it. Sprinkle the top with the lemon juice.
- Bake until cake is golden and puffed, and a toothpick inserted into a center part of the cake comes out free of batter, about 50 -60 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 29.7 g
- Sodium: 134.3 mg
- Fat: 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.1 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 5.4 g
- Cholesterol: 115.5 mg
Keywords: breakfast cake, strawberry cake, skillet cake, strawberry skillet cake,