A simple recipe for Strawberry Breakfast Cake, a perfect beginning or ending for a special brunch. Can be made gluten-free.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup Strawberry Preserves, (plus more for filling-optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour ( try whole wheat or gluten free!)
- ½ cup almond meal or flour ( you can sub regular flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pint strawberries halved – or sub other fresh berries
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- maple syrup for drizzling- optional
- powdered sugar for sprinkling – optional
Heat oven to 325°F.
Spoon the 1/2 of the batter into a lightly greased 10 inch cast-iron skillet. At this point, you could spoon little dots of strawberry preserves (another 1/4 cup) then top with the remaining batter. (This is optional, feel free to leave the extra preserves out if you like.)
Arrange the strawberries, skin side up, all over the batter, covering it. Sprinkle the top with the lemon juice.
Bake until cake is golden and puffed, and a toothpick inserted into a center part of the cake comes out free of batter, about 50 -60 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Keywords: breakfast cake, strawberry cake, skillet cake, strawberry skillet cake,