A simple recipe for Strawberry Breakfast Cake, a perfect beginning or ending for a special brunch. Can be made gluten-free.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup Strawberry Preserves, (plus more for filling-optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour ( try whole wheat or gluten free!)
- 1/2 cup almond meal or flour ( you can sub regular flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pint strawberries halved – or sub other fresh berries
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- maple syrup for drizzling- optional
- powdered sugar for sprinkling – optional
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl, and mix until combined. Add vanilla and preserves and whip well.
- Whisk flours, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl then add it to the batter, until just combined.
- Spoon the 1/2 of the batter into a lightly greased 10 inch cast-iron skillet. At this point, you could spoon little dots of strawberry preserves (another 1/4 cup) then top with the remaining batter. (This is optional, feel free to leave the extra preserves out if you like.)
- Arrange the strawberries, skin side up, all over the batter, covering it. Sprinkle the top with the lemon juice.
- Bake until cake is golden and puffed, and a toothpick inserted into a center part of the cake comes out free of batter, about 50 -60 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 394
- Sugar: 29.7 g
- Sodium: 134.3 mg
- Fat: 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.1 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 5.4 g
- Cholesterol: 115.5 mg
Keywords: breakfast cake, strawberry cake, skillet cake, strawberry skillet cake,