This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
What I love about This Rhubarb Cake!
- In this flourless, upside-down rhubarb cake, I resisted the temptation to add berries or other fruit, to highlight the rhubarb’s true flavor. The bright liveliness of the rhubarb is front and center, the sourness mellowed slightly with vanilla and butter, while the base of the cake, made entirely of almond meal and no flour, whispers of cardamon. To my palate, the combination delights.
- The cake is totally grain-free.
- If you rather not do it upside-down, you can do it right-side up. See recipe notes.
How to make Rhubarb Cake
Once the rhubarb is cooked, set it aside, leaving it in the cast-iron skillet. We will bake the cake in this!
Tip: If your rhubarb is not very colorful ( your stems are green) you can always add a some berries to give this some color.
Step three: Pour the cake batter over the rhubarb.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can also pour the batter into a greased 9-10 inch cake pan and top it with the rhubarb (instead of doing the upsidedown version).
More Rhubarb recipes you may like!
- Rhubarb Muffins
- Rhubarb Crisp
- Baked Salmon with Rhubarb
- Rhubarb Shrub Recipe!
- Rhubarb Tart with Lemon, Cardamom & Vanilla
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
- Recipes to Celebrate Spring!
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (try to use red parts for the prettiest presentation)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
Almond Flour Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Over medium heat, melt butter into a well-seasoned, 9-10 inch cast iron skillet, and brush the sides with it. Add rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and pinch salt and simmer for 2-3 minutes, just until combined and sugar has dissolved. Turn the heat off. Do not cook rhubarb all the way through.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with olive oil and honey. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and cardamon, and salt.
- Whisk in the baking powder and the almond flour a little at a time. You will have a very sticky batter at this point.
- Make sure the edges of the skillet are greased with butter. Pour batter over rhubarb in the cast iron skillet and place in a preheated oven, middle rack for 30-45 minutes.
- While baking, make sure to have ready what you plan to flip the cake onto. At 30 minutes, check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done. If not, continue baking longer, and check again every 5-7 minutes. Pull from the oven, let sit 5 minutes, run a sharp knife around the edges, then place a cake platter or cake stand over the skillet, and invert, gently tapping the bottom of the skillet so it releases.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 32.9 g
- Sodium: 331 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 108.3 mg
Keywords: rhubarb cake, rhubarb cake recipe, gluten free rhubarb cake, upside down rhubarb cake, rhubarb recipes, rhubarb cake recipes, gluten free recipes