Separate the yolks from the whites. Mix the yolks with sugar and lemon zest, and combine with dry ingredients. Whip the whites, and then combine all to create a batter.
Pour the almond flour batter over the rhubarb.
Upside Down Rhubarb Cake (Gluten-free)
Upside Down Rhubarb Cake that is gluten free- made with Almond Flour. Deliciously addictive, perfect for Spring.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Dessert, gluten-free
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 4 C cups rhubarb, cut into ½ inch cubes ( about 1 ¼ lb)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar -divided ( or use half brown sugar)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 4 eggs, separated into 4 egg yolks and 4 egg whites, room temperature
- zest from one lemon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamon
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground almond flour or meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon white or cider vinegar
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- pre heat oven to 375 F
- Over medium heat, melt butter into a well seasoned, 9 inch cast iron skillet, and brush the sides with it. Add rhubarb, ¾ C sugar, lemon juice, 2tsp vanilla and pinch salt and stir for 2 minutes, just until combined and sugar has dissolved. Turn heat off. Do not continue to cook rhubarb. (You can either bake the cake right in the same skillet, or transfer to a parchment lined and buttered 9 inch spring form pan- make sure to read notes bellow.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with lemon zest, cardamon and ¼ C sugar, until creamy and sugar has dissolved. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk almond flour, pinch salt, and baking powder until combined.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir to incorporate. You will have a very thick heavy batter at this point.
- In a stand mixer, whip egg whites on medium high speed, and once you see bubbles, add a pinch of salt and tsp vinegar . Whip until egg whites have formed soft peaks, then add remaining ¼ C sugar a little at a time whipping until medium stiff peaks form. Turn speed to down to medium low and begin spooning in the thick flour – egg yolk batter, a heaping spoonful at a time, into the egg whites, until it is all combined, scraping downs sides as necessary.
- Pour batter over rhubarb in the skillet ( or in a spring form pan- see notes) and place in a preheated oven, for 30 minutes. While baking, make sure to have ready, what you plan to flip the cake on to. At 30 minutes, check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done. If not, bake 5 minutes longer, check again. The skillet will cook faster than the spring form pan. Pull from the oven and immediately place a cake platter or cake stand over the skillet, and invert, gently tapping the bottom of the skillet so it releases.
- NOTE: If using a spring form pan, make sure to line it with parchment, bumpy side up – watch this video on how to do it that will help to prevent leaks. Place the spring form pan on top of a sheet pan in the oven, just in case. Let it cool before removing sides and flipping. Serve with vanilla ice cream or on its own. The cake is especially good the next day.
- Calories: 396
Keywords: gluten free rhubarb cake, upside down rhubarb cake, rhubarb recipes, rhubarb cake recipes, gluten free recipes