Smoky, spicy Mezcal Margarita Recipe with jalapeno, cilantro and lime… complex and so refreshing – designed for the “grown-up” palate. If you like Scotch, you’ll love this!
I must confess, this Mezcal Margarita has been happening a lot around here lately. Our catering season started off with a bang a few weeks ago, and by the end of the day, all I want to do is get home, put my feet up, sit outside on the patio and sip one of these delicious babies… a Mezcal Margarita with muddled jalapeño, cilantro and fresh lime. So flavorful and refreshing!
To keep this a bit healthier, omit the sugar-based simple syrup and mixer altogether.
Slices of jalapeño give just a bit of heat, and a few sprigs of cilantro add an overall refreshing “green” flavor.
What is Mezcal?
Mezcal, in essence, is a smoky flavored spirit originating from Oaxaca, Mexico, similar to tequila, in that it is made from agave but is processed a little differently. When making Mezcal, the agave hearts, or pinas, are grilled over hot rocks prior to distilling – which imparts a rich, earthy, smoky flavor. It’s more for the grown-up palate – and may not be for everyone, but I personally love it.
Ingredients in Mezcal Margarita:
- fresh limes and an orange (or mandarin, tangerine, grapefruit!)
- Triple Sec or Orange liquor
- Agave, honey syrup, or maple syrup
- jalapeno (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Salt for the rim
How to make a Mezcal Margarita:
- Rub the rim of the glasses with lime, then dip in salt. Fill glasses with ice.
- Muddle jalapeno and cilantro in a shaker (both optional) and add ice.
- add mezcal, triple sec, lime juice, orange juice and honey syrup
- Shake and pour over the ice.
- Serve with lime.
To change it up a bit, I’ll add either freshly squeezed grapefruit, mandarins, oranges, clementines, tangerines, or sliced cucumber into the shaker. Here’s the basic recipe, but please, have fun and make it your own.
What I love about Mezcal!
Mezcal adds another dimension to margaritas, making them much more complex, and in my opinion, sultry and alluring. If you are a strawberry margarita kind of person, Mezcal will not be for you, but if you like more complex flavors like whiskey or scotch, this is right up your alley!
And yes, Mezcal can a bit of a splurge. Sometimes I’ll use a mix of both reposado tequila and Mezcal, for just a hint of the smokiness and to help with the budget, especially if pouring for large gatherings.
It’s perfectly fine to substitute a good quality tequila in its place or to even use both, some of each, to cut down on the smokiness.
Enjoy the cocktail and cheers!!!
Other cocktails you may enjoy!
- The Verdant Garden Cocktail
- A Long Winters Nap
- La Cura
- Oaxacan Hot Toddy
- Hibiscus Margarita
- Peach Sangria
- Meyer Lemon and Thyme Gimlet
- Naturally Sweetened Frozen Strawberry Margaritas!
A delicious “healthier” recipe for Mezcal Margaritas- with fresh limes, jalapeno, cilantro….smoky, spicy, and oh so refreshing! Designed for the “grown-up” palate. If you like Scotch, you’ll love this.
- 4 –6 slices of jalapeno
- a handful of cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Juice from 2 medium limes, plus extra lime for garnish
- Juice from 1/2 an orange (optional) or a mandarine or tangerine
- 3 ounces Mezcal or tequila (6 tablespoons)
- 1 ½ ounce triple sec or Orange liquor (3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon agave, Honey Simple Syrup or maple syrup
- Rub the rims of 2 glasses with lime, then dip the rims into a small plate of salt. Fill the glasses with ice.
- Place the jalapeño and cilantro into a shaker (Or use a jar with a lid). Muddle.
- Add ice to ⅔ full.
- Squeeze the limes, and 1/2 an orange into the shaker.
- Add the Mezcal, triple sec, and agave.
- Shake well and taste- adjusting sweetness and lime. Find the right balance ( for you!).
- Pour into the salt-rimmed glasses, over ice, or strained and serve up.
- Garnish with a lime slice.
- Prepare to melt into your chair.
- Calories: 255
Keywords: mezcal margarita, mezcal margarita with jalapeño, spicy mezcal margarita, cilantro margarita, spicy margarita recipes, mezcal recipes