This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Smoky, spicy Mezcal Margarita Recipe with jalapeno, cilantro and lime… complex and so refreshing – designed for the “grown-up” palate. If you like Scotch, you’ll love this!
I must confess, this Mezcal Margarita has been happening a lot around here lately. Our catering season started off with a bang a few weeks ago, and by the end of the day, all I want to do is get home, put my feet up, sit outside on the patio and sip one of these delicious babies… a Mezcal Margarita with muddled jalapeño, cilantro and fresh lime. So flavorful and refreshing!
To keep this a bit healthier, omit the sugar-based simple syrup and mixer altogether.
Slices of jalapeño give just a bit of heat, and a few sprigs of cilantro add an overall refreshing “green” flavor.
What is Mezcal?
Mezcal, in essence, is a smoky-flavored spirit originating from Oaxaca, Mexico, similar to tequila, in that it is made from agave but is processed a little differently. When making Mezcal, the agave hearts, or pinas, are grilled over hot rocks prior to distilling – which imparts a rich, earthy, smoky flavor. It’s more for the grown-up palate – and may not be for everyone, but I personally love it.
Ingredients in Mezcal Margarita:
- Mezcal- smoky tequila, use a clear or light-colored one for the best presentation.
- Fresh citrus- limes and an orange (or sub a mandarin, tangerine, grapefruit!)
- Triple Sec or Orange liquor like Grand Marnier
- Sweetener- Agave, honey syrup, or maple syrup
- Fresh jalapeno slices (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Salt for the rim
How to make a Mezcal Margarita:
- Rub the rim of of 2 glasses with lime, then dip in salt. Fill glasses with ice.
- Muddle jalapeno and cilantro in a shaker (both optional) and add ice.
- Add mezcal, orange liqueur, fresh lime juice, and sweetener.
- Shake well and pour over the ice.
- Serve with lime!
To change it up a bit, I’ll add either freshly squeezed grapefruit, mandarins, oranges, clementines, tangerines, or sliced cucumber into the shaker. Here’s the basic recipe, but please, have fun and make it your own.
What I love about Mezcal!
Mezcal adds another dimension to margaritas, making them much more complex, and in my opinion, sultry and alluring. If you are a strawberry margarita kind of person, Mezcal will not be for you, but if you like more complex flavors like whiskey or scotch, this is right up your alley!
And yes, Mezcal can a bit of a splurge. Sometimes I’ll use a mix of both reposado tequila and Mezcal, for just a hint of the smokiness and to help with the budget, especially if pouring for large gatherings.
It’s perfectly fine to substitute a good quality tequila in its place or even to use both, some of each, to cut down on the smokiness.
Enjoy the cocktail and cheers!!!
Other cocktails you may enjoy!
- Paloma Cocktail
- Naturally Sweetened Frozen Strawberry Margaritas!
- Blackberry Bramble
- The Verdant Garden Cocktail
- A Long Winters Nap
- La Cura
- Oaxacan Hot Toddy
- Hibiscus Margarita
- Peach Sangria
- Meyer Lemon and Thyme Gimlet
A delicious “healthier” recipe for Mezcal Margaritas- with smoky mezcal, fresh citrus, jalapeno, cilantro….smoky, spicy, and oh so refreshing! Designed for the “grown-up” palate. If you like Scotch, you’ll love this.
- Rub the rims of 2 glasses with lime, then dip the rims into a small plate of salt. Fill the glasses with ice. Place the jalapeño and cilantro into a shaker (Or use a jar with a lid). Muddle. Add ice to ⅔ full.
- Add lime juice and or other citrus.Add the Mezcal, Orange liqueur and sweetener of choice. ( see note).
- Shake well and taste- adjusting sweetness and lime. Find the right balance ( for you!).
- Pour into the salt-rimmed glasses, over ice, or serve strained and up like a martini.
- Garnish with a lime slice.
Sweetener: If using another citrus instead of lime ( like orange, mandarin or grapefruit) you will most likely need less sweetener. If using just limes, you may need more sweetener. So taste it! 🙂
One fluid ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Serving Size: 2 margaritas
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 21.3 g
- Sodium: 4.3 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mezcal margarita, mezcal margarita with jalapeño, spicy mezcal margarita, cilantro margarita, spicy margarita recipes, mezcal recipes