A refreshing summer drink, featuring fresh muddled blackberries, gin, lemon juice and soda or ginger beer, is called the Blackberry Bramble Cocktail. A spin off the classic drink- the Bramble, first created in London in the 80’s, made with dry gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and Crème de Mûre, a blackberry liquor – here I’ve added a handful of fresh juicy ripe blackberries, muddled and served over ice, topped with soda or ginger brew for a flavorful twist.
It’s been a blackberry week around here in the Fountaine home. Another catering over-purchase I’m afraid –which in this case turned out OK with me, because I happen to love blackberries, but the challenge then becomes loving them enough before the juicy little guys go south. So I’ve been putting them in our daily salad bowl, as you saw last week, freezing them, making smoothies, pickling them, dipping them into chocolate, and now I’ve resorted to drinking them.
This could easily be made a very refreshing “mocktail”, sans alcohol –becoming Sparkling Blackberry Lemonade, without the gin or liquor, by adding muddled blackberries into lemonade, and adding a bit of soda or ginger ale. The color is beautiful.
For the Bramble Cocktail, muddle ripe juicy blackberries with fresh lemon juice, blackberry liquor (optional), gin, simple syrup, or agave, then double strain to remove the seeds. I actually had to use a fine mesh strainer, because the built-in strainer in the shaker did not strain the seeds. Pour over ice and top with fizzy water or ginger brew, with a twist of lemon.
And be refreshed….Print
A refreshing summer cocktail, the bramble combines fresh blackberries, gin, lemon juice and soda- or for a refreshing twist, try topping with Ginger Brew.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 3-4
- Category: Drinks
- ½ C fresh blackberries
- 2 Ounces Dry Gin
- 1 Ounce Blackberry Liquor ( optional)
- 1 Ounce simple syrup or maple or agave
- 1 1/2 Ounce fresh lemon juice
- Ginger Brew or Soda
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle blackberries with gin, blackberry liquor ( optional) lemon juice, simple syrup or agave, until broken up and they release their juice.
- Double strain, using a fine mesh strainer, to remove seeds.
- Fill 3-4 rocks glasses with ice. Divide blackberry -gin mix among the glasses, and top with soda or ginger brew. Garnish with a blackberry and lemon zest.