This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
All things are meltable, and replaceable. Not at this moment, but soon enough, we are lambs and we are leaves, and we are stars, and the shining, mysterious pond water itself. ―
I should probably be embarrassed at how often this has been happening lately. But it’s been so dark, cold and snowy here! This cozy wintry drink called, A Long Winter’s Nap, has become a nightly ritual, tucking me for the evening. I wish I could take credit for the perfectly fitting name, but my brilliant friend Richard came up with it, and to me, it makes the drink.
Bourbon cocktail Ingredients
- You’ll need bourbon, maple syrup infused with cardamom, star anise, ginger, and a few optional Douglas fir twigs, and a little lemon juice.
- The whole spices and ginger give it a delightful flavor, but they are not imperative.
- It can be served warm or chilled, and either way, it’s cozy.
Sometimes I’ll toss in cardamom pods or whole peppercorns, or whatever sounds good in the moment. Orange zest, a cinnamon stick or even a few whole cloves are nice to. Play around with it and just have fun.
I also make this with simple syrup when out of maple – add equal parts of water and organic cane sugar and heat on the stove.
How to Make a Bourbon Cocktail
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add two ounces of bourbon, rye or whiskey.
- Add infused maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Shake and strain into a glass.
- Garnish with lemon
Alternatively, for large gatherings, you could multiply the recipe and pre-mix large batches of this in a pitcher (without the ice) for parties. Serve it over ice.
You can also serve this warm, like a hot toddy (see recipe notes)! This warm wintery drink is perfect for a Holiday gathering.
Cheers friends…Happy New Year!
More Cocktail recipes you may likePrint
- 2 ounces of Bourbon, Whiskey or Rye
- 2 Tablespoons Infused maple (or plain maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- garnish with star anise and lemon slice
Infused Maple Syrup or simple syrup
- Place maple syrup and water in a small pot. Add ginger and whole spices. Heat over medium heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat. Let stand 10 minutes. The longer you infuse, the more intense the flavor. You could let this sit overnight or strain it right away.
- In a cocktail shaker, pour the bourbon, infused maple syrup and lemon juice over ice. Shake and strain into a small glass or martini glass. Garnish with a star anise pod and lemon slice (or zest)
This can also be served warm. Stir cocktail ingredients together in a small pot, gently heating, and add a little water to taste ( 1/4 cup-1/2 cup), serve in a mug, like a hot toddy!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 24.8 g
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.5 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: bourbon cocktail, winter cocktail, a long winters nap, bourbon cocktail recipe, cocktail made with bourbon