I should probably be embarrassed at how often this has been happening lately. But it’s been so dark, cold and snowy here! This cozy wintry drink called, A Long Winter’s Nap, has become a nightly ritual, tucking me for the evening.
It’s basically a Bourbon Cocktail with maple syrup infused with star anise, ginger, and a few optional Douglas fir twigs, and lemon juice. A fancy Whiskey Sour? You could simply add maple syrup if pressed for time. The ginger and star anise give it a delightful lovely flavor, but they are not imperative. Delicious yes, but not a deal breaker if you don’t feel like making the extra trip to the store.
Sometimes I’ll toss in cardamom pods or whole peppercorns, or whatever sounds good in the moment. Orange zest, a cinnamon stick or even a few cloves could be nice to. Play around with it and just have fun.
I also make this with simple syrup when out of maple – just add equal parts of water and organic cane sugar and heat on the stove.
For the hard alcohol, add two ounces of bourbon, rye or whiskey to a cocktail shaker over ice. Add infused syrup and lemon juice.
Alternatively, for large gatherings, you could multiply the recipe and pre-mix large batches of this in a pitcher (without the ice) for parties. Serve it over ice.
Add 2 tablespoons infused maple and 1 ½ tablespoons lemon, or Meyer lemon (even better!) and give it a good shake. Pour it in a glass and garnish with la lemon slice and a star anise pod.
Store the leftover simple syrup or infused maple syrup in an airtight container in the fridge. The infused maple syrup is great over waffles and pancakes, too.
This warm wintery drink is perfect for a New Year’s Eve gathering. Pre-mix it ahead and simply serve it over ice when your guests arrive.
If you do end up giving this a try, let us know what you think!
Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to snap a quick picture and tag it #feastingathome on Instagram so we can see!
Cheers friends…Happy New Year!
A Long Winter’s Nap
A wintry, cozy Bourbon cocktail with ginger, maple and star anise.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 1 drink
- Category: Bourbon Cocktail
- Cuisine: Drink
- 2 ounces Bourbon, Whiskey or Rye
- 2 Tablespoons Infused maple (or plain maple syrup)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- garnish with star anise and lemon slice
- Infused Maple Syrup or simple syrup
- ½ cup real maple syrup (or make simple syrup- ½ cup sugar +½ cup water)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sliced ginger
- 3 star anise pods
- Optional additions – Douglas Fir, crushed cardamon pods, cinnamon, whole clove, peppercorns
- Place maple syrup and water in a small pot. Add ginger and whole spices. Heat over medium heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat. Let stand 10 minutes. The longer you infuse, the more intense the flavor. You could let this sit overnight, or strain it right away.
- In a cocktail shaker, pour the bourbon, infused maple and lemon juice over ice. Shake and strain into a small glass or martini glass. Garnish with a star anise pod and lemon slice (or zest)