A wintry, cozy Bourbon cocktail with ginger, maple and star anise.
- 2 ounces Bourbon, Whiskey or Rye
- 2 Tablespoons Infused maple (or plain maple syrup)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- garnish with star anise and lemon slice
- Infused Maple Syrup or simple syrup
- ½ cup real maple syrup (or make simple syrup- ½ cup sugar +½ cup water)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sliced ginger
- 3 star anise pods
- Optional additions – Douglas Fir, crushed cardamon pods, cinnamon, whole clove, peppercorns
- Place maple syrup and water in a small pot. Add ginger and whole spices. Heat over medium heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat. Let stand 10 minutes. The longer you infuse, the more intense the flavor. You could let this sit overnight, or strain it right away.
- In a cocktail shaker, pour the bourbon, infused maple and lemon juice over ice. Shake and strain into a small glass or martini glass. Garnish with a star anise pod and lemon slice (or zest)