Instant Pot Chicken and White Bean Soup, made with white beans and fresh herbs – a hearty, and incredibly delicious soup that is fast, convenient and affordable! This can also be made on the stove-top!
This delicious and hearty “Make Life Simple” recipe, Instant Pot Chicken and White Bean Soup has become one of my husband’s all-time favorites.
I love it because it can be made very quickly ( 30 minutes) in an Instant Pot (pressure cooker) with 10 minutes of hands-on time, and makes good use of all the dried beans in our pantry. You can also use canned beans, (see recipe notes).
Fast and affordable with a short list of ingredients yet really delicious! It’s packable and can be made ahead for the workweek, or packed up in a thermos for outdoor winter adventures.
Chicken and White Bean Soup | 30-Second Video
This week we’ve partnered with Sheep Thrills, to create a cozy winter picnic. Sheep Thrills is located on the beautiful hillsides of Abruzzo, Italy where sheepherders and grape growers have lived and worked side-by-side for hundreds of years. They are all about outdoor adventure, no matter what the season.
Pack up the soup in a thermos, along with a bottle of Sheep Thrills wine and take it with you on your next cross-country ski, snowshoe adventure, snowy hike or festive winter picnic. No matter what the adventure… this hearty soup will warm you to your bones!
Highly adaptable, this recipe can be used as a template for your own creations. Today I’ve used white beans, but really any other dry bean would work. Use what you have.
Chicken breast keeps the stew clean and lean, while savory herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme give it flavor.
Sometimes the simplest of ingredients can be incredibly nurturing.
Instant Pot Chicken and White Bean Soup, a hearty, delicious stew that is fast, convenient and affordable.
Lean and clean, it’s low in fat and calories while keeping you energized and satisfied all day long!
Pack it up it for a delicious winter picnic!
You may like:
- 25 Mouthwatering Instant Pot Recipes!
- Make Life Simple Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Middle Eastern Lamb Stew
- Instant Pot Chili with dry beans!
***If you are looking for a good source for heirloom beans, I love Rancho Gordo, take a peek.Print
Instant Pot Chicken and White Bean Soup with dried beans (or use canned) and fresh herbs – a hearty, delicious soup that is fast, convenient and affordable! This can also be made on the stovetop- see notes!
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped ( or sub 1 ½ tablespoons granulated garlic)
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried) or try fresh sage or thyme, or a combo (or even Herbs de Provence)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 cup dried beans (white, cannellini beans, pinto, kidney, heirloom beans) If using canned see notes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, breast or thighs( leave whole)
- 4 cups flavorful chicken stock ( sometimes I’ll add an additional bouillon cube)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- crack pepper to taste
- squeeze of lemon
- Additional garnishes- fresh Italian parsley, avocado, sour cream, chili flakes,
- Turn the Instant Pot on, to the saute function and add the oil, onion, celery, and fresh garlic, and sauté 5 minutes until fragrant and tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the lemon) – herbs, bay, beans, chicken breasts or thighs (leave whole), chicken stock or broth, salt and pepper. Give a good stir and set the pressure cooker to 30 minutes on high pressure. (***If using larger beans like cannellini, lima, corona, or fava, increase time by 10-15 minutes.)
- Let the pressure release (either naturally, or let it out manually) and pull the chicken meat apart using two forks, shredding. Give a good stir, taste, adjusting salt and pepper, and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve with fresh chopped Italian parsley, and for added richness sour cream or avocado.
To cook on the stove top, cook the same way, but in a Dutch oven, cover, then simmer gently until beans are tender.
If using canned beans, use 2 cans, drained, ( 3 cups cooked) and pressure cook on high, for only 9 minutes. If using very thick chicken breasts, or frozen, perhaps add another minute or two.
I don’t usually presoak my dry white beans here, but if you would prefer to, pre-soak them in a bowl of water for 8-12 hours, lower pressure cooking time here by 10 minutes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 317
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 851.9 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 6.9 g
- Protein: 29.8 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
Keywords: white bean stew, instant pot white bean stew, Instant Pot Chicken and White Bean Soup, Chicken white bean soup, white bean soup instant pot, white bean soup pressure cooker,