This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
How to make Cannellini Bean Soup
- Soak the dry beans and Sorghum overnight.
- In a large, heavy bottom pot or dutch oven – onion, fennel bulb, celery and carrots are sauteed until tender.
- Then go in the cannellini beans, sorghum ( or quinoa) and flavorful stock.
- Let this simmer then add a couple of handfuls of chopped kale.
- Adjust seasonings and dinner is ready!
Tuscan Cannellini Bean Stew with Kale and optional Sorghum – a simple hearty soup that is vegan adaptable!
- 1 Cup dry Cannellini beans– soaked overnight (or use 2x 14-ounce cans, drained cannelloni beans, about 3 cups cooked)
- 1 cup dry Sorghum – soaked overnight ( optional, leave out, or sub quinoa during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 cups diced fennel bulb
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 6 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 1–2 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak dry beans and sorghum in separate containers of water overnight. .
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Add onion and saute for two minutes, stirring often. Turn heat to medium and add garlic, fennel, carrots, celery, and saute for 7-8 minutes. Add tomato, stock, herbs,drained beans and drained sorghum. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to medium low, and simmer until beans are tender about 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours.
- Add kale. Simmer until wilted and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in Bowls, drizzle with a little olive oil ( optional)or add crunchy croutons.
- Notes: If using canned beans, simply add the drained, canned beans to the simmering stock until heated, about 10 minutes.To thicken, you could simply let this reduce a bit, or add quinoa. Making it this way will shorten the cooking time to 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 7.6 g
- Sodium: 704.1 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.9 g
- Fiber: 9.8 g
- Protein: 12.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Sorghum soup, White bean soup sorghum, Cannellini Bean Sorghum Stew, Sorghum recipes, recipes with sorghum, tuscan soup,