Tuscan Cannellini Bean Stew with Kale and optional Sorghum – a simple hearty soup that is vegan adaptable!
- 1 Cup dry Cannellini beans- soaked overnight ( or use 2 cans, drained cannelloni beans)
- 1 Cup dry Sorghum – soaked overnight ( optional, leave out, or sub quinoa during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Cup diced onion
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 Cups diced fennel bulb
- 1 Cup diced carrot
- 1 1/2 Cups sliced celery
- 1 Cup diced tomato
- 6 Cups chicken or veggie stock
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 1–2 Cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak dry beans and sorghum in separate containers of water overnight. .
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Add onion and saute for two minutes, stirring often. Turn heat to medium and add garlic, fennel, carrots, celery, and saute for 7-8 minutes. Add tomato, stock, herbs,drained beans and drained sorghum. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to medium low, and simmer until beans are tender about 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours.
- Add kale. Simmer until wilted and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in Bowls, drizzle with a little olive oil ( optional)or add crunchy croutons.
- Notes: If using canned beans, simply add the drained, canned beans to the simmering stock until heated, about 10 minutes.To thicken, you could simply let this reduce a bit, or add quinoa. Making it this way will shorten the cooking time to 30 minutes.
- Calories: 335
Keywords: Cannellini Bean Stew, Sorghum recipes, recipes with sorghum, tuscan soup,