Savory Teff Cakes with Wilted Chard and Fresh Tomato Relish – a simple delicious vegan dinner recipe that is full of protein and nutrients!
Your sadness doesn’t make you less of a human being. In fact, it makes you more. More expansive. More connected. Painfully beautiful. Raw. Open. Completely alive. ―
Here is a super tasty vegan recipe that will keep you fueled all day long- Savory Teff Cakes with Wilted Chard and Fresh Tomato Relish, one of my new favorite vegan dinner recipes!
Teff, if unfamiliar is a tiny ancient grain that hails from Ethiopia and Eritrea, which is most typically used to make injera, a very thin, fermented, pancake-like, flatbread. Teff is naturally gluten-free, high in calcium, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
In an older post, we served up teff as a breakfast porridge, in this Teff Porridge with Fresh Figs, Walnuts and Honey. But today I wanted to create a savory teff recipe that could be served up for dinner! The texture of these teff cakes are amazing and the flavor has a delicious earthiness that I crave.
Cook seasoned teff like you would polenta, and then let it cool before cutting it into cakes- which can then be fried or baked.
After the teff is cooked into a thick porridge, pour into a baking dish, smooth the surface and refrigerate – I like to make these the night before, or morning before. After they cool, they can be cut into squares or triangles and hold their shape really well.
At this point, you can bake the teff cakes or pan-sear them.
I prefer them pan-seared because the crust gives the dish such great texture!
After the teff cakes are nice and crispy, wilt some chard with a little olive oil and garlic.
Make the very simple tomato relish and then assemble!
Layer a couple of savory teff cakes, a mound of chard, and top with the tomato relish.
Spoon the dressing from the tomatoes around the dish or use a balsamic glaze.
And just as a side note, these can also be served as a tasty appetizer, just cut the teff cakes in half again and serve on a platter or cheese board. So easy!
Such an easy teff recipe! Savory Vegan Teff Cakes – so simple and so tasty!
I’m so excited for you to try these!
RELATED: 40 Mouthwatering Vegan Dinner RecipesPrint
Crispy Teff Cakes with Wilted Chard & Fresh Tomato Relish
A healthy, vegan dinner recipe that is full of protein and nutrients! A delicious, easy and savory way to prepare teff, the world’s smallest ancient grain and incorporate it into our everyday meals. * THIS RECIPE REQUIRES 4 HOURS “cooling time” to set up properly.
- Prep Time: 5 hours
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 5 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: vegan, main, vegan dinner recipe
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: northwest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water or broth
- 1 1/2 cups teff ( whole grain, not flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence or Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 bunch chard chopped.
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or sliced
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley ( or cilantro or basil) chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- pinch salt and pepper
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and saute until fragrant and deeply golden. Add water, teff, salt, spices and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 15 minutes, or until teff is tender (yet still intact) and when stirred has a consistency of a thick porridge.
- Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish with olive oil. Give teff a good stir and pour into the baking dish. Using an oiled spatula, smooth the top. Let this cool and place into the fridge until it sets up and is firm, about 4 hours (or overnight). If making ahead see notes.
- Once teff is cooled and firm, cut into four squares. Remove cakes, then cut each into two triangles. ( See notes, for appetizer version.)
- Pan fry the teff cakes in a skillet, with a little oil, over medium heat, until crispy and heated through, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Place in a warm oven if you like. (Alternately you can bake these on a greased, parchment-lined sheet pan– 20 mins @400F . Brush the tops with olive oil. )
- Wipe out the skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add garlic, stirring until golden, about 2-3 mintues. Add Kale and gently wilt. Add a splash of white wine and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the tomato relish. Place tomatoes, tparley, olive oil, balsamic in a small bowl and mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Place the warm, crispy teff cakes ( 2 triangles per person) on a plate, layering with the chard. Divide the tomato relish over top, spooning any remaining dressing on or around the cakes. Serve immediately!
- Serving Size: 1 square
Keywords: teff recipes, teff recipes savory, Teff Cakes, teff recipes vegan, savory teff recipes, teff recipes dinner,