Teff Porridge with figs and walnuts– a simple vegan breakfast that is highly nutritious and will leave you feeling energized all day long!
Swap out your steel-cut oats this morning and give Teff a try. Teff, if unfamiliar, is the tiniest grain in the world, but one that packs a mighty punch. Originating from Ethiopia, it’s most commonly known for its use in Injera, an Ethiopian crepe-like flat bread, used to scoop up all their flavorful dishes.
This recipe for Teff Porridge with figs and walnuts is simple and easy to make, and a wonderful introduction to this nourishing grain. Once you try it, I’m confident you’ll find many other uses for it in your home kitchen. Try these Savory Teff Cakes!
Can you see it in the center, hiding under the walnuts? It’s minuscule -and in your mouth, it feels like tiny little miracles, exploding with nutrients. Full of protein and calcium, it will keep you fueled throughout the day. Dress the porridge up with whatever you have on hand.
I left the dairy and butter out of this intentionally, making this a clean, vegan and gluten-free start to the day. Feel free to use maple syrup or honey, but I’ll tell you a little secret… figs love to be bathed in honey, it makes them happy.
The Teff Company. offers Non-GMO, American Grown teff, right near us in Idaho! With fertile fields and ecologically-sensitive farming methods, some of the best quality teff in the world is produced in Idaho. Today Maskal Teff is available nationally in health food stores and directly from their web site.
There are many other ways you can use this ancient, gluten-free whole grain in the kitchen — adding it to soups and stews, baked goods, or treating it like you would a creamy bowl of polenta.
Toast the teff grains in a pot for a just a couple of minutes to coax out their fragrant nutty flavor. Then cook as you would oats –add water, bring to boil, cover, then simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
Once it’s done, top with fresh figs, walnuts and maple or honey, and enjoy a simple healthy vegan breakfast.
Teff Porridge with figs and walnuts – an easy introduction to this tiny, but mightily nutritious grain, packed full of protein. A simple delicious vegan breakfast!
- ½ Cup Whole Grain Teff
- 1 ½ Cups water plus 1 Tablespoon
- generous 3 finger pinch of and ground warming spice- like ground clove, cardamom, nutmeg, or cinnamon, allspice or even 5 spice.
- generous 3 finger pinch of kosher salt
- 6 fresh figs- sliced ( or sub dried figs, adding to the cooking teff for the last 5 minutes, to plump them up) or sub pears.
- 2 T maple syrup or honey
- 2 T crushed, toasted walnuts– or any other nut.
- Over medium-high heat, In a small pot, toast teff until it begins to pop, and smell nutty- stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Once you hear its adorable popping, add water and spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Give a quick stir and at this point,
- If it seems too thick, add a bit more water, to get it to your desired consistency. Cook a couple more minutes.
- Divide among 2 bowls and top with sliced figs, walnuts and a generous drizzle of honey.
Keywords: Teff Porridge, vegan breakfast, vegan breakfast recipes, teff recipes, fig recipes, teff cereal, how to cook teff, healthy breakfast recipes, vegan breakfast, vegan breakfast ideas