Teff Porridge with figs and walnuts – an easy introduction to this tiny, but mightily nutritious grain, packed full of protein. A simple delicious vegan breakfast!
- 1/2 cup Whole Grain Teff
- 1 1/2 cups water plus 1 tablespoon
- generous 3 finger pinch of and ground warming spice- like ground clove, cardamom, nutmeg, or cinnamon, allspice or even 5 spice.
- generous 3 finger pinch of kosher salt
- 6 fresh figs- sliced ( or sub dried figs, adding to the cooking teff for the last 5 minutes, to plump them up) or sub pears.
- 2 T maple syrup or honey
- 2 T crushed, toasted walnuts– or any other nut.
- Over medium-high heat, In a small pot, toast teff until it begins to pop, and smell nutty- stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Once you hear its adorable popping, add water and spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Give a quick stir and at this point,
- If it seems too thick, add a bit more water, to get it to your desired consistency. Cook a couple more minutes.
- Divide among 2 bowls and top with sliced figs, walnuts and a generous drizzle of honey.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 419
- Sugar: 44.4 g
- Sodium: 155.6 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 86.5 g
- Fiber: 9.9 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Teff Porridge, vegan breakfast, vegan breakfast recipes, teff recipes, fig recipes, teff cereal, how to cook teff, healthy breakfast recipes, vegan breakfast, vegan breakfast ideas