Instant Pot Chicken and White Bean Soup with dried beans (or use canned) and fresh herbs – a hearty, delicious soup that is fast, convenient and affordable! This can also be made on the stovetop- see notes!
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped ( or sub 1 ½ tablespoons granulated garlic)
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried) or try fresh sage or thyme, or a combo (or even Herbs de Provence)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 cup dried beans (white, cannellini beans, pinto, kidney, heirloom beans) If using canned see notes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, breast or thighs( leave whole)
- 4 cups flavorful chicken stock ( sometimes I’ll add an additional bouillon cube)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- crack pepper to taste
- squeeze of lemon
- Additional garnishes- fresh Italian parsley, avocado, sour cream, chili flakes,
- Turn the Instant Pot on, to the saute function and add the oil, onion, celery, and fresh garlic, and sauté 5 minutes until fragrant and tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the lemon) – herbs, bay, beans, chicken breasts or thighs (leave whole), chicken stock or broth, salt and pepper. Give a good stir and set the pressure cooker to 30 minutes on high pressure. (If using particularly large beans like lima, corona, or fava, increase time by 10-15 minutes.)
- Let the pressure release (either naturally, or let it out manually) and pull the chicken meat apart using two forks, shredding. Give a good stir, taste, adjusting salt and pepper, and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve with fresh chopped Italian parsley, and for added richness sour cream or avocado.
To cook on the stove top, cook the same way, but in a Dutch oven, cover, then simmer gently until beans are tender.
If using canned beans, use 2 cans, drained, ( 3 cups cooked) and pressure cook on high, for only 9 minutes. If using very thick chicken breasts, or frozen, perhaps add another minute or two.
I don’t usually presoak my dry white beans here, but if you would prefer to, pre-soak them in a bowl of water for 8-12 hours, lower pressure cooking time here by 10 minutes.
Keywords: white bean stew, instant pot white bean stew, Instant Pot Chicken and White Bean Soup, Chicken white bean soup, white bean soup instant pot, white bean soup pressure cooker,