This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
You’ll love everything about this Peruvian Chicken (Pollo a la Brasa) with Aji Verde Sauce! It’s easy and bursting with flavor; this can be made in under an hour, baked in the oven or cooked on the grill- perfect for weeknights or special gatherings. Vegan adaptable. Video.
Row row row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.~
This flavorful, juicy Peruvian Chicken with Aji Verde Sauce is one you’ll need to make soon! Cook it on the grill or roast it in the oven, either way, you’ll love it. The Peruvian Green Sauce called Aji Verde is bursting with so much flavor, You’ll want it on everything! We pair the chicken with a simple avocado-tomato salad for a light and lean dinner. The recipe can easily be adapted for vegans (see the recipe notes).
how to make Peruvian Chicken | Video
How to make Peruvian Chicken
Step one: Make the Marinade.
The easy flavorful Peruvian Chicken marinade is made with olive oil, garlic, spices, and lime juice. Just mix it up in a bowl.
Step two: Marinate the chicken.
Marinate the Peruvian chicken while the grill or oven heats up. Or marinate overnight for even more flavor!
Here I’m using boneless skinless chicken thighs, but breasts and bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces would work too. Remember that boneless breasts cook the fastest.
For a vegan option, substitute Portobellos!
Portobellos can be sliced or cooked whole. Be sure to brush the marinade on lightly because mushrooms are porous and can actually soak up too much if you are not careful.
Step three: Make the Aji Verde Sauce.
The creamy delicious Peruvian Green Sauce ( called Aji Verde) truly makes the meal- so don’t skip this part! See recipe notes for a vegan version! Blend the Aji Verde Sauce ingredients in the blender. So easy!
Step four: Grill or Roast.
Grill the chicken over medium heat until internal temp reaches 170F for thighs and 165 for Breasts. Grill optional portobellos until tender and juicy.
Alternatively, you can roast on a parchment-lined sheet pan in a 425F oven until thighs reach 170F or breasts reach 165f.
Step five: Make the Salad.
As the chicken cooks make the Avocado Tomato Cucumber salad.
Avocados and cucumber are diced, and cherry tomatoes are halved. Then it’s simply drizzled with olive oil, lime juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Very simple.
Step six: Serve!
Serve the Peruvian Chicken with the Aji Verde Sauce on the side, and the fresh Avocado Salad, either separately or in wide bowls. Add Cilantro rice for a heartier meal.
What to serve with Peruvian Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Perfect Quinoa
- Black Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Peruvian Green Sauce (Aji Verde)
- Pico de Gallo
This Peruvian- style meal is such a great combination of flavors! Pollo a la Brasa is one of my favorite recipes on the blog- please tell us what you think in the comments below!
More recipes you may like:
- Cuban Mojo Chicken
- Peruvian Burritos with Aji Verde Sauce (Vegan!)
- Peruvian Green Sauce (Aji Verde) Vegan-Adaptable
- Peruvian Seafood Stew with Cilantro Broth
- Peruvian Minestrone Soup
- Peruvian Ceviche Recipe
- Our best 35 Grilling Recipes for Summer
Hope you like this Peruvian Chicken with Aji Verde Sauce as much as we do. Let us know in the comments below!
You’ll love everything about this Peruvian Chicken (Pollo a la Brasa) with Aji Verde Sauce! It’s easy and bursting with flavor; this can be made in under an hour, baked in the oven, or cooked on the grill- perfect for weeknights or special gatherings.
- 1 1/2 –2 pounds chicken (thighs or breast, boneless, skinless- see notes) Or substitute portobellos!
- 4 garlic cloves- finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey, agave or sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano ( or 1 tablespoon fresh) or sub thyme or marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce ( optional)
Peruvian Green Sauce (Aji Verde) :
- 1/2 cup sour cream or mayo (see notes for vegan option)
- 1/2 jalapeño (use less for less spicy)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup chopped cilantro- thin stems ok.
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- a squeeze of lime ( 1 tablespoon, save other half for salad)
Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 2 cups diced or sliced English or Turkish cucumber
- 1–2 perfectly ripe avocados, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes ( yellow and red are nice )
- cilantro leaves for garnishing
- olive oil for drizzling
- generous, 5 finger pinch kosher salt
- squeeze of lime
- Preheat Grill to medium-high, or preheat OVEN to 425F.
- If making rice, start this now on the stove.
- Make the marinade in a small bowl. Using a garlic press, finely mince the garlic and place it in the bowl. Add oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano and salt and optional soy sauce. Stir. Toss it with the chicken in a bowl, coating all sides well, and/ or brush it onto the portobellos. Marinate while the grill heats up or overnight for more flavor. (The portobellos will soak up the marinade so if marinating overnight go lightly, reapply before grilling.)
- Make Peruvian Green Sauce by placing all the ingredients in a blender and blending until relatively smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary.
- Grill: grill the chicken and/ or portobellos, searing both sides well ( using a metal spatula to flip) then turn the heat down or move to a cooler side of the grill to allow the chicken to cook through. Portobellos will cook faster, so plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Bake: Place the chicken on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake until cooked through; 165F for chicken breasts and 170F for chicken thighs.
- Make the salad by placing the diced cucumber in a wide shallow bowl. Add avocado, spacing it out evenly. Add a few cherry tomato halves. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Squeeze with lime juice. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve with the Cilantro Lime Rice. If making bowls, place ¾ cup rice on the bottom of the bowl, add sliced chicken or portobellos to one side, avocado salad on the other side and drizzle with the cilantro sauce. Enjoy!
Chicken: Feel free to use bone-in, skin-on chicken, although cooking time will increase. Traditionally, in Peru, a whole chicken is marinated then roasted in the oven, which you can also do!
***This can easily be made vegan by subbing vegan mayo, or instead of mayo, using 1/4 cup raw cashews and 1/4 cup water, with a tablespoon of lime juice and upping the salt to 1/2 teaspoon, blending in a high-powered blender. If your blender is not “high-powered” soak the cashews for 4 hours first, so they soften.
- Serving Size: -with chicken breast, one avocado and the green sauce
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 146.5 mg
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.5 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 48.4 mg
Keywords: Peruvian Chicken, Pollo a la Brasa Recipe, Peruvian Chicken Recipe, Grilled peruvian chicken, Peruvian Green Sauce, peruvian green sauce recipe