This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A richly spiced Moroccan-inspired soup, full of flavor, nutrients and soul-warming color. Saffron, dried apricots and preserved lemon give this Chicken Lentil Soup depth. It is easy to throw together, making it perfect for any day of the week!
It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. ~Charles Spurgeon
My son Fin and I have committed to a walk around the block, with Bo dog, just before bedtime. Leaving the cozy warm house is not always easy, however, as soon as we step outside there is something so tranquil and calming about the darkness and the feeling of the night air on our skin. It is like our cells recognize the season and we become more grounded and settled sensing place and time of day. It is a lovely simple ritual that slows us down and brings us right into the moment. I try to remind myself that someday I may be longing for times like these with my boy, giving me incentive to carry on with simple actions that bring joy.
This time of year also signifies soup season for me. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner… it just feels so nurturing! Plus it is easy to pack nutrition into the soup.
This Moroccan inspired Chicken Soup is pretty easy to throw together. The colors of this soup make it that much more delicious. Perfect for winter’s dark days, a little color does wonders for body and soul.
Gather up ingredients. Taking time to enjoy the aromas of the spices.
With organic ginger root, don’t bother peeling.
Start sautéing with onion and ginger.
Sauteing for about 5 minutes until the onion starts to soften and caramelize.
Saute’ another minute more to enliven the flavor of the spices.
Lightly crush saffron.
Add stock, lentils and whole chicken thighs. Simmer 30 minutes.
Remove cooked chicken thighs and shred.
I hope this Moroccon Chicken Lentil Soup recipe brings you some moments of happiness.
You may also enjoy:
- How to make Preserved Lemons!
- Our 20 Best Broth-Based Soup Recipes
- Moroccan Lentil Quinoa Soup
- Moroccan Chickpea & Sweet Potato Salad
- Homemade Pita Bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped in small pieces
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (close to 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons preserved lemon, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3–4 oz fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- In a medium soup pot, sauté the onion and ginger in olive oil over medium heat, until soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne, saute another minute.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, salt, saffron, dried apricots, and chicken thighs.
- Bring to a simmer and cover with lid vented for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove chicken and shred, pulling apart with 2 forks. Return chicken to the soup pot.
- Add the preserved lemon, honey, fresh spinach, and parsley, and serve!
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 7.7 g
- Sodium: 1088.9 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 42.6 g
- Cholesterol: 147.3 mg
Keywords: chicken lentil soup, moroccan chicken soup, moroccan lentil soup, moroccan chicken lentil soup recipe, chicken soup recipes, broth based soup recipe