- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped in small pieces
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons preserved lemon, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3–4 oz fresh spinach
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley
- In a medium soup pot, sauté the onion and ginger in olive oil over medium heat, until soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, and cayenne, saute another minute.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, salt, saffron, dried apricots, and chicken thighs.
- Bring to a simmer and cover with lid vented for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove chicken and shred, pulling apart with 2 forks. Return chicken to the soup pot.
- Add the preserved lemon, honey, fresh spinach, and parsley, and serve!
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Keywords: chicken lentil soup, moroccan chicken soup, moroccan lentil soup, moroccan chicken lentil soup recipe, chicken soup recipes, broth based soup recipe