These delicious Vegan Lettuce Wraps are filled with Teriyaki Mushrooms and brown rice- an easy Asian-inspired lunch recipe (or appetizer) that is healthy, vegan and satisfying! Gluten-free. (Made with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce)
Action arises spontaneously when we are responding to life from wholeness. ~ Dorothy Hunt
Say hello to Teriyaki Mushroom Lettuce Wraps! Not only are these vegan lettuce wraps deliciously satisfying in the flavor department- they are super light and nutritious. One of my favorite lunches right now, this recipe was created by Tonia as a way to try out that beautiful homemade Teriyaki Sauce from a couple of days ago.
As you can see, we’ve served the Teriyaki Mushrooms over brown rice to make it a little more hearty, but if going grain-free, feel free to leave it out. Or try another kind of rice, like black rice, basmati rice, or even quinoa.
Use what you have!
The recipe starts with making Tonia’s homemade Teriyaki Sauce which only takes about 10 minutes. You’ll find a hundred other uses for this, trust me!
Then it’s just a matter of chopping up your veggies and stir-frying.
We used a mix of shiitakes and creminis here, but most mushrooms will work. You’ll need about 4 cups total. Keep in mind, these will cook down to about half.
Saute the mushrooms until tender and golden, then set aside.
Then saute the bell pepper and garlic and ginger.
Combine it all together with the Teriyaki Sauce.
Add the scallions and cilantro.
Then fill your vegan lettuce wraps with a couple of tablespoons of rice (or your choice of grain).
Here I’m using butter lettuce.
Leftovers heat up nicely too- nice for several lunches (if they last that long).
I’m super excited for you to try these Vegan Lettuce Wraps! Such a great combination of flavors and they feel so healthy and light. I know you will love them!
Ok- hope you are still “staying in”, not going too crazy, staying positive and healthy and finding the silver lining in all of this.
Shiitake Lettuce Wraps
Delicious Vegan Lettuce Wraps are filled with Teriyaki Mushrooms and brown rice- an easy Asian-inspired lunch idea or appetizer that is healthy, vegan and satisfying. Gluten-free Adaptable! Made with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 cups 1x
- Category: lunch, vegan, gluten-free
- Method: stir-fry
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 tablespoons oil (avocado, peanut, or wok oil)
- 2 cups (5 oz) shiitake mushrooms, cut into ½ inch chunks (or slices)
- 2 cups (5 oz) cremini mushrooms, cut into ½ inch chunks ( or slices)
- 1 tablespoon (3 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 large red, yellow or green bell pepper cut into ½ inch dice (2 cups), a mix is nice.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- ½ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 2 cups cooked rice or grain – optional
- Garnishes: toasted sesame seeds, furikake or chili flakes
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and saute mushrooms for 7 -8 minutes, until tender and golden. Remove the mushroom mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Add bell peppers, garlic and ginger to the same pan and cook about 2 minutes on medium high heat, adding a bit more oil if needed.
- Add mushrooms back in pan along with salt, scallions and ¼ cup of teriyaki sauce. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Allow to cool 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Place lettuce cups on a plate or platter and fill with 2-3 tablespoons cooked rice or grain (optional). Spoon Teriyaki Mushrooms over top.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds , furikake or more warmed teriyaki sauce in a bowl, to spoon over top.
Save the leftovers-they can be reheated and served up to 3 days later.
- Serving Size: 3 wraps
Keywords: vegan lettuce wraps, mushroom lettuce wraps, shiitake lettuce wraps, vegan lunch recipe, vegan appetizer recipe