This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Luscious Strawberry Shortcake with golden flakey biscuits, jammy strawberry sauce, and yogurt whip cream. The perfect American dessert with a twist. This elevated version of the classic is subtly sweet and deeply satisfying.
Resilience doesn’t mean bouncing back to normal, it means being transformed to a new normal. ~Ellen Odonnell
With just a slight twist on the classic, juicy delectable Strawberry Shortcake has all the makings of the perfect summer dessert. Flakey biscuits with crisp edges have a hint of lemon and subtle sweetness. Lemon thyme adds an herby freshness that is a complement to the buttery richness.
The strawberries are jammy and vibrant with just enough sweetener to accent the berries. The whip cream topping is folded with greek yogurt giving a perfect balance of tang and creaminess. All together the flavors and textures are elevated to a euphoric level.
Making The Shortcake Biscuits
- Start with cold ingredients.
- Cut butter into flour mixture of baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Lightly incorporate cream and greek yogurt.
- Fold dough four times and cut into squares. Brush with egg wash and Sprinkle with sliced almond and sugar.
- Freeze 10 minutes.
- Bake in a hot oven.
Keeping all ingredients cold is key for tender fluffy biscuits. Work the butter into the flour using your hands or a pastry cutter, leaving some chunks.
Mix together cream and yogurt. Pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
Turn the shaggy dough out onto the counter. Fold over on itself and press out flat into a rough square.
Repeat this process 4 times or until the dough is fairly smooth.
Shape into 6×6 square. (Or 7 x 5). Trim off edges with a sharp knife this allows the biscuits to fully expand.
Brush the top the shortcake biscuits with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar and sliced almonds. Lightly pressing almonds into the dough. Place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes before putting in the oven.
How to make an egg wash and why
- Mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- This will give the biscuit a lovely golden crust and help the almonds and sugar stick.
Fresh Strawberry Sauce
- Place half of the strawberries and sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to a low simmer until they just begin to break down.
- Mix lemon juice and cornstarch. Whisk into strawberries and let it come up to a bubble.
- Remove from heat. Cool. Mix in the other half of the strawberries.
This is the best of both worlds, jammy and vibrantly fresh with just the right amount of sauciness to soak into the biscuit. A little lemon juice compliments, bringing out more amazing strawberry goodness. Half of the berries are simmered for about 10 minutes to create a gorgeous sauce.
This is really good especially when the strawberries may be on the not quite completely ripe side. Fresh sliced berries are added in just before serving. It gives such a lovely depth. You won’t be disappointed!
If you are so lucky to get completely ripe, fresh-picked strawberries, you can totally just chop them up fresh and skip the cooking part, adding a bit of sugar, if you desire.
Easy Tangy Yogurt-Whip Cream Topping
- Whip heavy cream with vanilla and sugar.
- Gently fold in greek yogurt.
One of my favorite combos is fresh whip cream and greek yogurt. The yogurt gives some stability to the cream and elevates the flavor immensely, giving the perfect tang and brightness. Also with the added benefit of protein and probiotics!
Simply whip the cream with vanilla and a little sugar. Make it sweet to your liking. I prefer it on the less sweet side so I usually add about 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Fold the yogurt into the whipped cream. This can be done a few hours ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
How to Assemble Strawberry Shortcake
- Slice biscuit in half.
- Spoon strawberries on the bottom half.
- Layer with lots of yogurt whip cream!
- Top with biscuit top.
- Serve immediately!
More strawberry recipes you may like:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (vegan & gluten-free)
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake
- Strawberry Turnovers!
- Strawberry Slushie
- Mini Pavlovas with Strawberry, Rhubarb & Mint
You totally deserve this treat! So divinely delicious. Let us know what you think!Print
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Luscious strawberry shortcake with flakey biscuits, jammy strawberry sauce and yogurt whip cream. The perfect American dessert.
- 2 cups all purpose flour, 250 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar + more for sprinkling
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of a lemon
- 8 tablespoons, 1 stick, (4 ounces) of cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1–2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme (totally optional but so good!)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I prefer full fat)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk (optional, for egg wash)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, quartered or sliced
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Yogurt-Whip Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–2 tablespoons of sugar
Turn oven on to 400 degrees.
Make the Shortcake Biscuits
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Stir in lemon zest and lemon thyme.
- Add cold butter chunks mixing in with your hands, forks or pastry cutter until they are coarsely mashed up.
- Mix together yogurt and cream. Add into the flour mixture carefully mixing until just incorporated.
- Turn contents out onto the counter. It is ok if there are still dry parts. Press the dough roughly out in a square, about a 1/2 inch thick. Fold over on itself and press out into a square again. Repeat this process 4 times.
- Shape into a square with your hands, about 6 x 6 and about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 6 pieces. Place biscuits on parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash (see notes) sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar.
- Freeze 10 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in your preheated oven.
Make the Strawberry Sauce
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the sliced strawberries in a saucepan with sugar. Cook about 7-10 minutes until just beginning to break down.
- Mix lemon juice and cornstarch until completely smooth. Add to the cooking berries. Bring just to a light boil, and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Add remaining fresh sliced strawberries into the cooked jam.
Make the Yogurt Whip Cream Topping
- Whip cold heavy cream with a hand or stand mixer with vanilla and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the greek yogurt.
- Chill until ready to use.
To make an egg wash; mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tablespoons of water. This will give the biscuit a lovely golden crust and help the almonds and sugar stick.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 552
- Sugar: 17.5 g
- Sodium: 376.2 mg
- Fat: 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.6 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 11.8 g
- Cholesterol: 111.5 mg
Keywords: strawberry shortcake, homemade strawberry shortcake, strawberry short cake recipe, strawberry recipes, shortcake recipes, strawberry shortcake recipe from scratch
so easy to make & so good !! But recipe is easily for 10-12p if served as a dessert
It is a pretty hearty serving! You could make smaller biscuits and freeze some. 🙂
Delicious!! And so easy to make! But recipe is easily for 10-12p if served as a dessert
Glad you enjoyed!
You forgot to mention I need to be in a -10 celsius degree room, so that the cold butter doesn’t melt in my hands. The dough got runny despite the fact that I observed all the proportions :(. Anyway, delicious, will try again.
Oh shoot Dimitry- you must be someplace warm?
Absolutely delicious! I made this dessert this past week for my 25th wedding anniversary. Since my boys have moved out of the house and are in college, I haven’t baked in a while. The moment I saw your recipe in my inbox, I knew this would be the perfect compliment to my dinner menu. I couldn’t find lemon thyme, but the biscuits turned out lemony without it. I used frozen organic strawberries (the organic fresh berries haven’t looked very good recently) and they worked out great. The cream was light and fluffy. Without my boys at home to help me eat this, I’ve been eating it every day. So worth it. And I plan to make this for them when we’re all together this summer. They’ll love it. Oh, yeah, my husband enjoyed it also!
Happy Anniversary Sabrina! So happy you have enjoyed this. Ha ha, yes to strawberry shortcake everyday!
Really delicious. My dough was a little dry. I used cake flour as I didn’t have any regular flour. I just added a tiny bit more heavy cream.
I had lots of compliments from Sunday lunch guests.
Glad it worked out Fiona!
I ate way too many of these today. I can’t blame myself though – they’re actually heaven on a plate (like so many of your recipes). Next time I will add something to deepen the flavours – some more lemon flavour, maybe some herbs and red wine in the jam, and fresh mint and basil to serve.
Five stars, by the way!
Hehe Varya! I find them quite dangerous as well. Love all those additions, yum!
Can I use frozen strawberries?
Fresh is always best here, but I think those should work fine!
So good! The perfect strawberry shortcake! Love the yogurt added to the whipped cream topping.
This recipe looks delicious and I can’t wait to make this for my roommates! I was just wondering how many pints (or grams) of strawberries I should buy to yield 6-7 cups of or the recipe? Thank you! Castle Rock Tree Service
2 pints of strawberries. Let us know how you like it!
My wife and I will have a dinner date tomorrow and this one will be an addition to our table. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I’m so excited to try it.
Can the dough be made ahead of time? Or kept frozen until ready for baking?
I don’t see why not!
These shortcake biscuits are delicious! The zest, thyme and almond made these perfect with the strawberries on top. Highly recommend!!
Wonderful! So glad you enjoyed them.
Looks great. I macerate some of the berries with submersible blender. Makes the sauce juicy, and even sweeter. If I have left overs, the berries seem to hold up much longer.
I have 2 cups of leftover frozen berries and juice (most of it juice). I want to bake it in it in some kind of cake.and need a suggestion.
They might be good between the layers of a simple lemon or white cake- poke holes so juices can run into the cake, then layer with whipped cream. 🙂