Luscious strawberry shortcake with flakey biscuits, jammy strawberry sauce and yogurt whip cream. The perfect American dessert.
- 2 cups all purpose flour, 250 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar + more for sprinkling
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of a lemon
- 8 tablespoons, 1 stick, (4 ounces) of cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1–2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme (totally optional but so good!)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I prefer full fat)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk (optional, for egg wash)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, quartered or sliced
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Yogurt-Whip Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–2 tablespoons of sugar
Turn oven on to 400 degrees.
Make the Shortcake Biscuits
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Stir in lemon zest and lemon thyme.
- Add cold butter chunks mixing in with your hands, forks or pastry cutter until they are coarsely mashed up.
- Mix together yogurt and cream. Add into the flour mixture carefully mixing until just incorporated.
- Turn contents out onto the counter. It is ok if there are still dry parts. Press the dough roughly out in a square, about a 1/2 inch thick. Fold over on itself and press out into a square again. Repeat this process 4 times.
- Shape into a square with your hands, about 6 x 6 and close to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 6 pieces. Brush with egg wash (see notes) sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar.
- Freeze 10 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in your preheated oven.
Make the Strawberry Sauce
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the sliced strawberries in a saucepan with sugar. Cook about 7-10 minutes until just beginning to break down.
- Mix lemon juice and cornstarch until completely smooth. Add to the cooking berries. Bring just to a light boil, and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Add remaining fresh sliced strawberries into the cooked jam.
Make the Yogurt Whip Cream Topping
To make an egg wash; mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tablespoons of water. This will give the biscuit a lovely golden crust and help the almonds and sugar stick.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake, homemade strawberry shortcake, strawberry short cake recipe, strawberry recipes, shortcake recipes, strawberry shortcake recipe from scratch