Skordalia- a tasty Greek-style dip, is made with a few simple ingredients -potatoes, garlic, olive oil, and lemon. Potatoes are boiled until soft and mashed until they become the consistency of hummus. The zesty lemon and pungent garlic, transform the potatoes into complete and utter deliciousness.
It’s very difficult to stop my self from eating the dip with a spoon right out of the bowl, and sometimes I just do. I really like this served warm (but it also may be chilled) with crackers, veggies or toasted pita.
Hope you enjoy this and let me know your thoughts in the comments below!Print
A simple recipe for Skordalia, a Greek-style dip made with potaotes, olive oil, lemon and garlic! Easy and simple!
- 1 lb white or yellow waxy potatoes -cut into 1 inch pieces, thin skins ok to leave on.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus more for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic, whole, plus 1 clove finely minced (divided) ( or use 5–6 cloves roasted garlic!)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest ( reserving a pinch for garnish)
- 6–7 Tablespoons water ( hot potato water)
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Blanch potatoes with 4 cloves garlic in boiling water, until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Strain, reserving ½ cup of the warm potato water.
- Mash or put through a potato ricer. ( Do NOT puree in food processor)
- Place in a bowl and using a fork stir in olive oil, one tablespoon at a time. Add 1 clove finely minced garlic, salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice and hot water, one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- To serve, create a circular ring or well with the back of a spoon, and drizzle olive oil in the well, sprinkle with parsley and more zest.
- Serve warm or chilled with toasty pita bread, veggies or naan bread.
As the skordalia cools, it will become thicker in consistency.
Sometimes finely crushed nuts are added to skordalia, like almonds, walnuts, pinenuts. If using, make sure to toast first.
Feel free to use whole roasted garlic ( just mash with potatoes!)
- Calories: 186
Keywords: Skordalia, Skordalia recipe, how to make Skordalia