Perfectly tender smoky Grilled Eggplant with fresh Greek relish and creamy polenta. An easy and healthy meatless dinner. Vegan adaptable and gluten-free. Video!
All that happens to us, including our humiliations, our misfortunes, our embarrassments, all is given to us as raw material, as clay, so that we may shape our art. ~Jorge Borges
This Grilled Eggplant Recipe is just the thing for a light summer supper. Smoky and tender, the eggplant cooks in under 10 minutes on the grill.
It pairs perfectly with cool and crunchy Greek relish that boasts fresh garden tomatoes, cucumbers, and chickpeas tossed in a simple sherry vinaigrette. Serve over creamy polenta for a satisfying clean and easy meal. We like adding sheep feta to ours but it can easily be kept vegan!
Grilled Eggplant | 60-sec video
Gather up some fresh farmer’s market veggies and polenta. I prefer the coarse grits for the texture, but can easily be substituted with cornmeal or half of each cornmeal and polenta.
Start with whisking corn grits into salted boiling water. (Be careful! Speaking from experience, boiling polenta can seriously burn!). Let simmer covered, 20 minutes while you prepare the relish.
The relish comes together quickly with just chopped veggies, herbs, chickpeas, and kalamata olives in a simple sherry vinaigrette.
How to Cook Grilled Eggplant
Step one: Preheat grill for 10 minutes on high. Slice eggplant into 3/4 inch slices. Round or long slices, either way works.
Step two: Brush eggplant with olive oil.
Step three: Turn the temperature down on grill to medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt over eggplant and place on the grill. Closing the lid for 3-4 minutes. This is the key to perfectly cooked eggplant, assuring that it is baking while it grills. Flip over, salting again if desired, cook for another 4 minutes, lid closed!
Tip: Place the grilled eggplant in a stack as you remove from the grill, this will keep the slices warm and finish softening them so they are perfectly tender and delicious!
How to Serve Grilled Eggplant:
- Scoop warm polenta onto plates.
- Arrange 3-4 slices of eggplant on top.
- Top generously with Greek relish.
- Add feta cheese if desired!
More Eggplant recipes you may like to try:
- Eggplant Chickpea Tagine
- Lebanese Stuffed Eggplant
- Thai Grilled Eggplant Salad
- Roasted Eggplant Lasagna with Arugula Pesto
- Grilled Eggplant Steaks with Gremolata and Tomatoes
- Middle Eastern Eggplant Wrap
- Grilled Veggies
- Grilled Eggplant Salad with Freekeh and Yogurt Dressing
- Meltingly Tender Moroccan Eggplant
- 20 Healthy Eggplant Recipes
Perfectly tender smoky Grilled Eggplant with fresh Greek relish and creamy polenta. An easy and healthy meatless dinner. Vegan adaptable and gluten-free.
Fresh Greek Relish
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped about 1 medium
- 1 cup cucumber, about 1 small
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn into bite size pieces
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- optional- 3-6 oz feta(sheep feta is preferred)
- Boil water with salt.
- Slowly add polenta while whisking. Stir until slightly thickening and fully incorporated.
- Turn heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
- Once polenta has softened, stir in butter or olive oil.
Make the Greek relish:
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Heat the grill to full high heat.
- Brush eggplant with olive oil.
- Turn grill to medium heat and place eggplant on the grill. Close lid for 3- 4 minutes. Flip eggplant over and close lid again for another 3-4 minutes.
- The eggplant will continue to soften once removed from the heat. You can stack them on top of each other, covered with foil, to continue to cook and soften.
Divide polenta among 4 bowls, then top with grilled eggplant and the fresh Greek relish.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 1692.6 mg
- Fat: 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.7 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 18.9 mg
Keywords: Grilled eggplant, grilled eggplant recipe, grilled eggplant vegan, how to grill eggplant, eggplant steaks, vegan grilled eggpant,