Butternut squash is peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes.
This is browned over medium heat.
Add water and spices and let this simmer on the stove for 20 minutes, then blend until it’s smooth. Whisk in yogurt and finally add the roasted butternut and chicken to the pot. To serve, place in a bowl over rice and garnish with cilantro and a dollop of plain yogurt.
Roasted Butternut Tikka Masala
This fall-inspired recipe for Roasted Butternut Tikka Masala can be made with chickpeas or chicken. The fragrant tomato coconut sauce is infused with Indian spices. Vegan & Gluten Free! A healthy delicious dinner recipe, perfect for fall!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Vegan Dinner Recipe, Vegetarian, Entree, Fall
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1 inch cubes ( about 6 cups)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Garam masala Spice Blend
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless Chicken thigh cut into bite sized pieces ( optional- Substitute 2 C paneer or 2 C cooked chickpeas)
- Sauce Ingredients:
- ⅓ Cup sliced ginger
- ¼ Cup garlic ( 10 cloves)
- 2 fresh serrano chilies- cut in half lengthwise
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (see below)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 roma tomatoes- rough chopped ( sauce will be blended)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ C water
- 1 Tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves ( optional)
- ¾ Cup plain yogurt ( or 1 can coconut milk, or ½ Cup Cream)
- ¼ Cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Serve with Rice or naan bread
- Easy Garam Masala Spice Mix- see note below
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Mix in a small bowl and store in airtight container
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium bowl, toss butternut with 2 T oil, garam masala and salt, until evenly coated. Spread out on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- (If adding chicken, place cut up chicken into the same bowl. Drizzle with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon garam masala, and toss to coat. Place on another baking sheet or or baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Broil for a minute or two to get deeper color.
- While butternut is roasting, make the sauce. Place sliced ginger, garlic and chiles in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Saute garlic ginger and chili mixture over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring often, scraping up brown bits with a metal spatula. Cook until golden. Add tomato paste, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until color deepens. Add spices, and cook for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, 1 ½ C water and optional fenugreek leaves. Bring to a simmer, lower heat and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Blend the sauce in batches in a blender, covering the blender with a kitchen towel and firmly holding lid down ( to prevent an explosion). Return the blended sauce to the pot. Whisk in the yogurt ( or coconut milk or cream).
- Add the roasted butternut and cooked chicken( or chickpeas, seared tofu, or paneer) and bring to a simmer.
- Serve with rice ( or naan) , fresh cilantro and dollop of yogurt.
- Notes: If making the Easy Garam Masala, know that using whole seeds and toasting them, then grinding them, will make an even more flavorful spice blend. This is one is faster, but quite not as flavorful.
- Calories: 345
Keywords: Butternut Tikka Masala, Butternut Masala, Vegan tikka masala, chicken tikka masala, fall tikka masala recipe, butternut recipes