This fall-inspired recipe for Roasted Butternut Tikka Masala can be made with chickpeas or chicken. The fragrant tomato coconut sauce is infused with Indian spices. Vegan & Gluten Free! A healthy delicious dinner recipe, perfect for fall!
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1-inch cubes ( about 6 cups)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Garam masala Spice Blend
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (or sub 1 lb boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces)
Tikka Masala Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup sliced ginger
- ¼ Cup garlic (10 cloves)
- 2 fresh serrano chilies- cut in half lengthwise
- 4 Tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (see below)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 roma tomatoes- rough chopped ( sauce will be blended)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ C water
- 1 Tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (optional but AMAZING)
- ¾ cup plain, full-fat yogurt (or 3/4 can coconut milk, or ½ Cup Cream)
- ¼ Cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Serve with basmati rice or naan bread
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium bowl, toss butternut with 2 T oil, garam masala and salt, until evenly coated. Spread out on a parchment-lined sheet pan and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- (If adding chicken, place cut up chicken into the same bowl. Drizzle with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon garam masala, and toss to coat. Place on another baking sheet or baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Broil for a minute or two to get a deeper color.
- While the butternut is roasting, make the Tikka Masala sauce: Place sliced ginger, garlic and chiles in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Heat the ghee or oil in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Saute garlic ginger and chili paste over medium heat until nicely browned for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, scraping up brown bits with a metal spatula. Cook until golden. Add tomato paste, and sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until color deepens. Add spices, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, water and optional fenugreek leaves. Bring to a simmer, lower heat and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Blend the Tikka Masala Sauce in batches in a blender, covering the blender with a kitchen towel and firmly holding the lid down (to prevent an explosion). Return the blended sauce to the pot. Whisk in the yogurt (or coconut milk or cashew cream, or heavy cream). This sauce could be made ahead and reheated!
- Add the roasted butternut squash and chickpeas (or roasted chicken) and bring to a simmer.
- Serve over fluffy basmati rice, or with naan bread with a side of raita!
Notes: If making the Easy Garam Masala, know that using whole seeds and toasting them, then grinding them, will make an even more flavorful spice blend.
- Calories: 345
Keywords: Butternut Tikka Masala, Butternut Masala, Vegan tikka masala, chicken tikka masala, fall tikka masala recipe, butternut recipes